Slide Shows / Auto start..??

Discuss the presentation application
MrMars

Slide Shows / Auto start..??

Post by MrMars »

As with PowerPoint when I open slide shows they would automatically start. This is not the case with Impress. Slide shows do not automatically start. How can this be changed?
Phil
Volunteer

Re: Slide Shows / Auto start..??

Post by Phil »

Hi and welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, there is no way to configure a show to start automatically. But there are two workarounds:
  1. Using the extension Auto Starter for Presentation documents.
  2. Creating a shortcut to the impress document file adding the "-show" option.
KR, phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
MrMars

Post by MrMars »

Phil wrote:Hi and welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, there is no way to configure a show to start automatically. But there are two workarounds:
  1. Using the extension Auto Starter for Presentation documents.
  2. Creating a shortcut to the impress document file adding the "-show" option.
KR, phil
Hello..

I completed the installation of the extension but I'm unsure of the "Creating a shortcut to the impress document file adding the "-show" option." Could you please explain?
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

MrMars wrote:I completed the installation of the extension
Alright. And does it work to your satisfaction?
MrMars wrote:I'm unsure of the "Creating a shortcut to the impress document file adding the "-show" option." Could you please explain?
In Windows Explorer, you need to create a link (with right mouse click - New - Link) that points to
"C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.3\program\simpress.exe"
After creation of the link, go to its properties and change the target to include your file name (including an absolute path!) preceded with "-show".
The result could be:
"C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.3\program\simpress.exe" -show D:\Test.odp"

HTH!

KR, phil
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
MrMars

Post by MrMars »

When in Windows Explorer and I right click and mouse over "new" "link" is not an option..?
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

MrMars wrote:When in Windows Explorer and I right click and mouse over "new" "link" is not an option..?
Sorry for that - I only have a German Windows version available, so I had to guess. It may be "Shortcut" instead?

KR, phil
TrueGreen

Post by TrueGreen »

I've installed autostart, but can't figure out how to use it. I don't see any buttons on the toolbar. I know it is enabled. Would appreciate any help on how to use it.
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

TrueGreen wrote:I've installed autostart, but can't figure out how to use it. I don't see any buttons on the toolbar.
I just tried it with version 2.3.1, and I can't get it to work either! :evil:
Maybe the extension is not compatible with the current OOo version?
There are a couple of comments describing the same problem on the extension page, but IMHO with no satisfying answer.

Maybe someone else got it to work and can help us?

BR, phil
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Weird, I just installed it on my 2.3.1 version (W2k) and it works fine except that I can't see any toolbar too and it doesn't seem to be listed in the View>Toolbar list.

I just install it by opening the .oxt file, OOo did the job. Had you restarted OOo (and quickstarter)?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:Weird, I just installed it on my 2.3.1 version (W2k) and it works fine
But how do you actually notice it's working? :?
Do your presentation files now start automatically by default?
Hagar de l'Est wrote:Had you restarted OOo (and quickstarter)?
Good hint, I forgot about that. The ImpressRunner.py component remained disabled, and I wasn't able to enable it.
After restarting (including quickstarter), I could enable the component - but still I don't see how I can configure the autostart setting with the extension. :(

Best regards,
phil
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Phil wrote:But how do you actually notice it's working? :?
Do your presentation files now start automatically by default?
Yes.
Phil wrote:I don't see how I can configure the autostart setting with the extension. :(
It only works for .pps extensions. So if you open a .pps file, it should directly launch the slide show.
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:It only works for .pps extensions. So if you open a .pps file, it should directly launch the slide show.
OK, it works for .pps files for me as well.

But on the extension page, it says:
For impress file, if a document userfield property contains 'autostart' string, the file will also be played automatically (ie. presentation will be launched at startup).
I also added a toolbar containing 2 buttons for setting or removing this mode for impress slideshow designers.
And this is what I am searching for (and probably also TrueGreen).

BR, phil
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I just added the 'autostart' string in the first user field of a file (Info 1) and it also works fine (slide show is automatic).

NB: works also if the autostart string is put in any other user field of the File>Properties dialog.
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:I just added the 'autostart' string in the first user field of a file (Info 1) and it also works fine
I was a bit flummoxed and did not get that the "normal" properties dialog was referenced. :roll:
But now I'm clear and it works for me as well! 8-)

Thanks!
phil
TrueGreen

Post by TrueGreen »

I've been having problems trying to figure out how to use "autostart" and finally figured it out. I guess it's enabled by default once installed. Using it is so simple it's embarrassing. Just right click on the closed file and select "show" from the dropdown list. It opens as it usually does and immediately goes into the slide show. It would be nice if they created a show file similar to PowerPoint and also a viewer to send to those who don't have OpenOffice on their computers.
jimford

Post by jimford »

I've discovered 'The Big Secret' of how to enable auto start on Impress files:

File->Properties->Custom Properties and insert 'autostart' as the value of 'Info 1'

It works for me in 3.2 on Windows XP.

I don't know why this isn't mentioned in the author's instructions - it's no big deal to do so!

Jim
Openoffice 3.1.1 on Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I agree the "Big Secret" is not really obvious but highlighted in that post and the following one (and also on the extension page). I've not tried with another field than 1st one but I'm quite sure it should work.
acknak

Post by acknak »

TrueGreen wrote:Just right click on the closed file and select "show" from the dropdown list.
Interesting tip--good find; thanks for sharing that!

The only down side is, I believe this is a function of your system's file manager and its configuration, not a part of OOo or Impress; for other systems, the "show" function may or may not be available as you describe.
jimford wrote:File->Properties->Custom Properties and insert 'autostart' as the value of 'Info 1'
That is the way the "Autostart" extension works; I presume it works for you because you have the extension installed. Could you check and be sure? Look under Tools > Extension Manager and see if there is an extension in the list named "ImpressRunner" and let us know what you find.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

Hello

On the Dutch forum there was a question for opening a presentation in show mode. I have made three examples who did work as asked. For one example you need to download the extension Impressrunner.

Romke
Attachments
StartfromtheCommandline.odp
Start presentation from command line and call a little macro in the document or in My macros
(13.08 KiB) Downloaded 438 times
UseImpressRunner.odp
For this you need impressrunner
(10.96 KiB) Downloaded 442 times
AutomaticStartPresentation02.odp
This start up with a macro called by an event
(13.95 KiB) Downloaded 474 times
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

Hello

I did search a little more and I found also this

Code: Select all

soffice  --minimized --invisible  --nologo    -show  showpresentation.odp

I did have read about the show option on several places but it did not work for me but now it works. The reason can be I did test it possible with two dashes and not with a single dash. When you ask for help with soffice then it is told you need two dashes and not a single dash. I don't know if this is only a problem of LibreOffice or not. Maybe it can also be a bug and will be changed in the future to two dashes

It is to the user now to decide what you want use.

Romke
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2