[Solved] How to format a whole document?

Discuss the word processor
anngallagher123

[Solved] How to format a whole document?

Post by anngallagher123 »

Hope I can explain myself properly....

I'm wanting to make it so that everytime I use bullet points in my document, the bullet is not indented and there is only a space between the bullet and the writing.

I seem to be spending more time changing the paragraph and bullet formatting than completing my uni work :(

Is it useful to say that the document is a series of tables I have to fill in?

Thanks!

Ann
Last edited by anngallagher123 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP
floris v
Volunteer

Re: How to format a whole document?

Post by floris v »

You should use styles. Make a new style based on the preferred formatting for bulleted text and apply that everywhere where you have bullets.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
anngallagher123

Sorry for being thick-can you talk me through how I would customise a style?
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

It's easier done than said. ;) If you can modify the formatting of a paragraph or of text using Format - Paragraph or Format - Character, you can also modify a paragraph style, because that uses about the same dialog boxes that function in the same way. The only difference is that the dialog box for a paragraph style has more tabs.
Format a paragraph with bullets as you want it (I assume you can handle that), select it, then press F11 to open the styles list and click the top right button in that list, with the green "+ mark", select New from selection to define a new paragraph style based on the formatting of the selection. A dialog box opens that allows you to enter a name for the style and to tell to what "parent" style it should be linked. For that, use the style used for the main text of your document. Whenever you want to change the formatting of text with bullets, you have to modify the paragraph style that you just defined instead of invoking Format - paragraph or Format - Bullets and numbering.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
anngallagher123

OK....I'm getting closer.

I highlighted a cell from my table that I have formatted the way I wanted it.....
I pressed f11 and selected 'new style from selection'.......
I called the style 'the grid' and clicked OK.........
The first line of the cell now has an indent I don't want! :?

What am I doing wrong?

ANn
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can you upload a sample file (see How to attach a document here)?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
anngallagher123

Now it's formatting it properly :knock:

Hopefully I'm sorted now!!
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Can you give us a clue? WE like to kn ow what solved your problem so we can help other people too.
Nederlandstalig forum
anngallagher123

Re: [Solved] How to format a whole document?

Unfortunately, there was a bit of trial and error involved!
Don't know why the first time I tried customizing the style, it changed the paragraph I had highlighted.
However, when I selected another paragraph and used the customized style, it formatted perfectly.