How to set tabs

Discuss the word processor
jevang

How to set tabs

Post by jevang »

I am trying to make a booklet that has several columns of info on a page and would like to be able to set tabs. When I try to move what appears to be the small tab indicators at the top, they will not settle on the place I want them to. I can not find another place where they can be set. Can anyone help> Thank you.
Open Office 3.3.0
Mac OS X
RoryOF

Re: How to set tabs

Post by RoryOF »

/Format / Paragraph :Tabs tab.

Best to define a specific Paragraph Style in /View /Styles and Formatting. See the Help file for information.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

Tabs are for typewriters--use a table :mrgreen:
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
jevang

Post by jevang »

Thank you. I did that, but there is still a problem. I have some items listed down the left and want to insert information about them under four headings. Even though I placed the tabs at specific points, when I try to tab over after each line, it goes to a different place--I think because the items listed have differing number of words making them of different length. I don't understand why the tabs won't hold. Can you advise? Thanks.
Open Office 3.3.0
Mac OS X
jevang

Post by jevang »

A table requires a lot more space, which will mess up the layout I've done. Is there no way to just tab across and insert information under headings so that the information is lined up?
Open Office 3.3.0
Mac OS X
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Set your tabs in a Paragraph Style.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

jevang wrote:A table requires a lot more space, which will mess up the layout I've done. Is there no way to just tab across and insert information under headings so that the information is lined up?
Yes, but each line where you want to use the tabs has to be an individual paragraph with the tab stops set in the paragraph. The easiest way to set the tab stops in the paragraph is to create a paragraph style and set the tab stops in the paragraph style. When you apply the paragraph style to the paragraph, the paragraph will inherit the tab stops from the paragraph style. By using the paragraph style, you avoid the slight misalignments that will occur when using the ruler to set tab stops in paragraphs.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It would be helpful if jevang could attach a short file showing a few lines of data. Attach links are below the Submit button on the Post Reply (full editor) screen.