Want line text without the line through it

Discuss the drawing application
rcook

Want line text without the line through it

Post by rcook »

When I put text on a line, the default is to have the text in the center of the line. That means the line goes through the text of the label. I want to set something so the line does not appear to "run through" the text; it makes it unattractive and harder to read.

It is a difficult thing to search for; I haven't been able to think of keywords that separate this from other features, etc.
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: Want line text without the line through it

Post by RoryOF »

Do you mean that your text looks like this AbcabcXyZ (this is called strikeout) or like this AbcabcXyZ (underscore or underline)?

If not one of these, you will need to explain further.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

For horizontal lines:
  • Select your labeled line.
  • Select menu Format - Text...
  • Text tab, Anchor box, select bottom middle position.
Similar procedure works for vertical lines.

For diagonal lines and polylines (and also for connectors) there is no easy way. Best solution I've found is to have a text object grouped with the line, having opaque or semi-transparent background (for connectors, a chained text object works).
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
alg

Post by alg »

For all graphics containing polygons it is possible to use the 'old' FontWork feature which allows 'text on curve'. It is not to be confused with the new one (MS compatibility). It is somewhat hidden nowadays, so you first need to add the button to a toolbar to use it. To do this:

- Click on the rightmost element of a toolbar of your choice to make the toolbar menu visible, choose 'Customize toolbar...'
- In the Customize dialog, click on 'Add'
- Choose Category 'Format' and Commands 'Fontwork', click 'Add' and 'Close', click OK in the Customize dialog

You will now have a 'Fontwork' button in your toolbar. Draw a line (or any shape with polygon geometry) and add text. Select it and click on the 'Fontwork' button. A dialog comes up. Do NOT use the upper default patters (these are the reason the feature was widely not understood), but use everything below it. Klick 'Rotate' to make your text follow the geometry of the line. You can choose various kinds how the text follows the line, the distance, sizes, shadows, colors, etc. In principle a mighty and underestimated feature.

I'll write a task to evtl. reactivate this feature under the correct name 'Text on curve' in later AOO versions...
HTH!
OpenOffice 3.3/3.4 on various systems
arthurpgoldberg

Post by arthurpgoldberg »

Hi Keme

What's a "chained text object" please?

Arthur
keme wrote:For horizontal lines:
  • Select your labeled line.
  • Select menu Format - Text...
  • Text tab, Anchor box, select bottom middle position.
Similar procedure works for vertical lines.

For diagonal lines and polylines (and also for connectors) there is no easy way. Best solution I've found is to have a text object grouped with the line, having opaque or semi-transparent background (for connectors, a chained text object works).
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Mac OS X 10.13.4 (as of July 2018)
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

arthurpgoldberg wrote:Hi Keme

What's a "chained text object" please?
Make a chain:
Connector - Text object - connector.

Not ideal, because the text object does not move with the connected objects (have to move it manually). Better than having to reconnect lines every time. That's why "it works".

The "old fontwork" solution given by alg is a proper solution to this issue in most cases. Did you try it?
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10