database mailing list

Creating tables and queries
Bea Vinen

database mailing list

Post by Bea Vinen »

have to admit I''m new to Open Office after using MS Works for years. I'm trying to add the Title of Mr. & Mrs. to a mailing list . I am able to type in Mr. or Miss but not Mr. & Mrs.....when i start to type the &,i get a blue line....what am I doing wrong? How do I get this corrected? thank you for your help.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Re: database mailing list

Post by DrewJensen »

Sorry but I am not quite tracking there - where are you typing this?

Did you create a Base database? Are you using a Calc sheet as a database?
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04
Bea Vinen

Post by Bea Vinen »

Sorry, I am using a Base Database. I used the Mailing List therein.....added Title, First, Last, etc. as Fields. When I try and add Mr. & Mrs. in the Title column, it doesn't allow me to add more than Mr......then the whole column turns blue and nothing can be done. the other columns accept data fine. it's almost like it doesn't like what I'm typing in that column.

Aside..where would I find a course on learning OpenOffice ...thanks for your help.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

hmmm - does not do that for me...

I am using the latest OOo under Windows at the moment - just went and created a new database and used the Table wizard to create the supplied Address table. Now tried to enter Mr. & Mrs. in Title - no problem. So there is something about your setup - or how you made the table.

First question then - Did you create the table via the Table Wizard and select the pre-defined Address table from the Personal templates?
Bea Vinen

Post by Bea Vinen »

Feel like an idiot......went back into Database and tried typing Mr. & Mrs. WITHOUT spaces....no problem. I guess i answered my own question....thanks for your help.
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

LOL - don't feel that way - as the old saying goes - If I had a nickel for every time.....
Bea Vinen

Post by Bea Vinen »

you seem to know a lot about this program......? yes?......Are you a WEbmaster or just a user? f so, maybe you can answer a few more ?s for me.
How do you highlight without dragging the mouse over the page....i had a 17 page address list that i wanted to sort....this was done using Table on Writer....
and my hand got tired holding the mouse down....has to be an easier way...one of those icons I can't figure? OO doesn't use the terminology Highlighting.
How do you change the font and color in the database? Xmas labels should be done in Comic Sans,not Times....and in red.
thanks.
kabing
Volunteer

Post by kabing »

In terms of the Writer tables, if you carefully move your mouse to just outside the upper left corner of the table, the cursor will change to a diagonal arrow. When it does, click on the left mouse button and the entire table will be highlighted.

In terms of font and color, that is set either in the forms you create, or in the writer document you create that uses the datasource from base.

By the way, it is best to ask each question in a separate thread; it makes things easier for others who search the threads for information.

kabing
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)