OOo Crash with ODT doc

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
grabro

OOo Crash with ODT doc

Post by grabro »

Hi

I have just upgraded my OS from Mepis 6.0 to 6.5. I transfered all my data and generally everything is OK. The exception is two particular .odt documents that I cannot access. Every time I try OOo immediately crashes. There is no backtrace because "gdb" is not loaded. All my other odt documents are OK.

Incidentally I tried loading one of them into Kwrite but it was all rubbish and it told me this was a binary file!!

Any ideas on how I might recover these files?

grabro
Hagar Delest

Re: OOo Crash with ODT doc

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can you upload them here (or on a file sharing web site (like mediafire.com) if you can't here ?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
grabro

Post by grabro »

Hagar

I have managed to solve my problem of access. I loaded Kword as I was told it could read odt files and it worked, Both my unaccessible files are big one is 668 pages and the other 359 pages. The first on took an hour to load completely in to Kword and it really looked as if it really struggling. Anyway after a save of the file it now loads in OO0 quite easily and takes about 30 seconds to load the whole document.

I couldn't possibly used Kword on a regular basis Ugh! It's not a patch on OOo, but it got me out of jail.

An unrelated problem is that in the large file during the last 100 pages I have numerous black lines about among the text. They are not drawing lines and I have tried everything to try and delete them but only succeeded in deleting text. I have even tried to copy a portion to another file but the lines copy too and are just as impossible to delete.

Any ideas whats going on?

grabro
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

First, thank for the feedback.

Second, for your black lines issue, try to select the text and to apply the Default formatting (CTRL+SHIFT+Space or Clear the formatting in the styles drop-down list). Perhaps it's a border applied to the paragraphs. If no change, can you post a sample of that file here ?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10