[Solved] Windows XP enhanced search doesnt find words in odt

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
enbeng

[Solved] Windows XP enhanced search doesnt find words in odt

Post by enbeng »

I have Microsoft Windows XP enhanced search utility and am doing a search for words that I know are in odt files but it is unable to find them. When I look at the search utility's Options menu I see that extensions of the files include odt files. However when I open the odt file with Notepad, I dont see the words that I had put in there so it must all be encrypted. I havent instructed OpenOffice Write to encrypt my files when saving. When I check Write's options, I dont see any of the password or encryption mechanisms set. What is the reason words inside odt files are not registering in the XP search utility? I downloaded the XP enhanced search utility from Microsoft website. Amazingly the search function that is native to XP (with the dog) can find the words inside odt files. The benefit of using the enhanced search utility was that it can search for more than one word at the same time. But if it is unable to search inside odt files thats not very useful. I see in a previous post about Windows 7 search, Copernic was recommended over Windows' own search. Is it still a good, safe alternative?
Last edited by enbeng on Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.2.1 OOO320m18 build 9502
Windows XP SP3
Hagar Delest

Re: Windows XP enhanced search doesnt find words in odt file

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

XP doesn't index ODF files IIRC.
Personally, I use Copernic and it's the best solution I've found (used with XP, W2k and Vista). See [Solved] Using Windows Search to find OOo files. It's safe and very fast.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

What is the name of the "Windows XP enhanced search"? Google doesn't find anything using that description.
robweir

Post by robweir »

You might want to look at the Office 2010 Filter Pack:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/de ... x?id=17062

This adds ODF search support to "Microsoft Search Services (Sharepoint, SQL, Exchange, Windows Search)".

-Rob
OOo 3.3.0 through AOO 4.0.1 on Windows XP/7/8/8.1 and Ubuntu 12.04
Apache OpenOffice Committer/PMC
enbeng

Post by enbeng »

Microsoft research utility for XP is here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=23 I also tried the Office software but that required another file msxml6 which I installed as well but it still didnt do the trick. Copernic works good although the original reference to it in this forum is not good anymore. Its possible to download from copernic.com and Norton Symantec found no viruses and deemed reliable. Thanks!
OpenOffice 3.2.1 OOO320m18 build 9502
Windows XP SP3