OOo 3.3 Freezing Issue

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows

OOo 3.3 Freezing Issue

Post by 22639 »

I just installed OOo_3.3.0_Win_x86_install-wJRE_en-us and it freezes up when I try to open a .doc file and I have to use my computer's reset button to reboot my computer in order to get out of the OOo title screen...(I tried to attach the file so you could see the one I'm having problems with but it is too large to attach on this forum). I was told that one of the features of OOo (and the main reason I downloaded and installed it) was that it can open documents saved in .doc, .rtf and .txt formats. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Cannot find file REALITY.SYS. Universe has been cancelled.

OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Windows XP Home
squenson
Volunteer

Re: OOo 3.3 Freezing Issue

Post by squenson »

Without seeing the file, it's difficult to help you. You could upload it to one of the numerous free file hosting services on the Internet and post the link here. I also suggest that you try opening other doc files that you will find on the Internet, just to see whether it is ONE file (in such case, the file itself is the issue) or SEVERAL files (then it's a problem with your installation of OOo). OOo can usually open 99% of the doc files, you may have a file belonging to the 1% category.
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Does OpenOffice open on its own without a file? If not, you may need to delete the User Profile
The User Profile
as sometimes the initial user profile can be corrupt. If OOo continues to crash after deleting the User Profile, when opened without a file, then the installation should be removed and the integrity of the downloaded file checked before reinstallation; check using the MD5Sum process
MD5Sums
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS

Post by 22639 »

squenson wrote:Without seeing the file, it's difficult to help you. You could upload it to one of the numerous free file hosting services on the Internet and post the link here. I also suggest that you try opening other doc files that you will find on the Internet, just to see whether it is ONE file (in such case, the file itself is the issue) or SEVERAL files (then it's a problem with your installation of OOo). OOo can usually open 99% of the doc files, you may have a file belonging to the 1% category.
Here is the link to the file. I'm not even sure what is in the document since I can't get it to open and I have no other word processor (got rid of them all when I got OOo 3.4 Beta which I just dumped to go back to 3.3).
Cannot find file REALITY.SYS. Universe has been cancelled.

OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Windows XP Home
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Is this the same OP Part3.doc you posted earlier in this thread, but now resaved from OpenOffice? If so, I can extract some text from that earlier copy, but am getting nothing from the later - I can't wait all day for it to load or time out (15 mins is sufficient - I have other work to do).
 Edit: It did eventually load and was identical to the earlier file. I've extracted the 8 pages recoverable and sent it to you attached to a Personal Message. You should _always_ work in .odt format and save out to .doc only when necessary. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS