Database partly destroyed

Creating and using forms
pm-c

Database partly destroyed

Post by pm-c »

When I tried to open a database with approx. 160 posts which I use every morning to store medical data, suddenly I was presented for a form where I should choose ASCII filters, character sets etc. The only way to procede was to press the OK botton. Then I got a writer document, 37 pages each holding very few caracters.
I am running Windows 7 and at c:\users\me\AppData\Roaming\OenOffice\3\user\backup there is a backup file covering 2/3 of the original table.
How do I get back the entire database tabel?
How do I avoid this problem in the furture?
pm-c
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Database partly destroid

Post by Villeroy »

Tools>Options>OpenOffice.org>Paths
Note the path for temporary files.
There you may find some directory named like "sv8im.tmp" and a similarly named file within that directory. Copy that file to a save place.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
DACM
Volunteer

Re: Database partly destroyed

Post by DACM »

pm-c wrote:How do I get back the entire database?
Try: Database corruption remedies
See also: Data recovery service
pm-c wrote:How do I avoid this problem in the future?
You have several options:

Automated database backups WITH an internet connection:
  • Utilize a cloud-sync'd folder with "versioning" (file history) like: Dropbox, Wuala, SpiderOak, Google Drive, SkyDrive and many others. These services generally offer a few gigabytes for free and allow you to recover previous versions of your database. For instance, SugarSync keeps the last 5 versions indefinitely (in the free service). Wuala keeps ten versions. Google Drive keeps 100 versions for 30 days each while granting 15GB for free. Dropbox has apparently reintroduced the version history feature in their free accounts, keeping all versions for 30-days. SugarSync adds the ability to designate any folder(s) for sync across your computer (although I've had problems with the stability of SugarSync on Windows 7 and was forced to uninstall it). Wuala and SpiderOak add client-side encryption -- so absolutely nobody can access your files without access to your computer. With any other cloud-sync'd folder service, it's prudent to add your own layer of client-side encryption using Boxcryptor. These services have the added benefit of off-site storage, allowing retrieval even if your computer crashes or is lost/stolen.
Automated database backups WITHOUT an internet connection: Consider a stable Base configuration:
  • When you use the default "embedded database" configuration it's just a matter of time before you'll encounter data corruption/loss. Base is not stable enough to host the database files inside the .odb container-file. See my signature links for a relatively "quick" way to migrate your existing data to a robust configuration with Base.
Last edited by DACM on Thu May 15, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 14 times in total.
AOO 4.1.x; LO 4.2.x; Windows 7/8 64-bit
Warning: Avoid embedded databases --> Solution: Adopt a portable 'split database' folder
Soli Deo gloria
pm-c

Post by pm-c »

Hej support!
I am a bit confused by the overwhelming amount of information, which on the other hand is very interesting..
I just want to
1) create a new safer database, and
2) include the backup file covering 2/3 of the original table in the new db.
Could you, please step by step, tell me what to do from OpenOffice's opening page where I choose database?
pm-c
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Before anything, read DACM's note on avoiding database corruption. That should set you on the right path.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
pm-c

Post by pm-c »

I have reinstalled openOffice to get rid of obsolete filenames in the Base dropdown menu.
Then i downloaded "Automatically create a new HSQLDB 2.x "multi-mode" database (Windows only)".
When I try to use the files "Ny database" (New database) and "Ny database1" I get the message:
"No connection to source Ny database - file input/output error java.lang.NullPointer.Exception.proporties
C:\Users\Documents\Ny database."
What do I do wrong?
pm-c
Greengiant224

Post by Greengiant224 »

pm-c:
"No connection to source Ny database - file input/output error java.lang.NullPointer.Exception.proporties
What do I do wrong?
You need to start the hsqldb v2.2+ server first by clicking on the start_server.bat file.
To stop the server use stop_server.bat Closing down the .odb file first.

Please bear in mind that as you are using Win7(64bit?) you need Java version 32bit for this to run successfully.

Also, please read the postings of DACM (do a search) he explains all of this set-up, beautifully.

Please come back if you need further help.

Greengiant224

Win 7, Portable AOO 4.1.14, LibreOffice 6.2, 7.4.5 & 7.6.1 (Java 1.7.81 & 1.8.0_281) utilising HSQL 1.8.10 & 2.4.*, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite
+ Blood, Sweat and Tears (Application, Determination and Perseverance)
DACM
Volunteer

Post by DACM »

pm-c wrote:When I try to use the files "Ny database" (New database) and "Ny database1" I get the message:
What do I do wrong?
You're not doing anything wrong, but you may be getting ahead of yourself.
 Edit: It is now possible to run all versions of HSQLDB simultaneously, complete with legacy 'embedded database' support, using a single installation of Base. Simply adopt macro-enhanced templates to support your split-databases. You can drag-&-drop your existing Queries, Forms and Reports to the template, while copy-&-pasting your existing Macros. 
The "New Database" wizard in Base is effectively disabled when you upgrade to HSQLDB 2.x. And any legacy "embedded databases" (that you previously created with the "New Database" wizard in Base) are also inaccessible while Base is configured with HSQLDB 2.x support.

To re-gain legacy "embedded database" support, you can temporarily override HSQLDB 2.x support by following the instructions for: Manual "split-database" setup. But you'll have to undo this override to re-gain HSQLDB 2.x support in the future. It's actually easier to simply downgrade to the built-in version (HSQLDB 1.8.0.10) by running mydb.exe, perhaps only for migration purposes to the "multi-mode" configuration -- which can then be upgraded to HSQLDB 2.x by re-running the dedicated installer (hsqldb_OOo.exe). Or some find it easier to simply install LibreOffice Portable in addition to OOo to supply legacy "embedded database" support.

But as for creating a new HSQLDB 2.x database, if you opted to install the Base front-end files with the HSQLDB 2.x installation, then you should be running C:\Users\<current user>\Databases\mydb\mydb.file.odb without moving or renaming anything (at this point). Or you can run START.vbs or server.start.bat (also found in the mydb folder; START.vbs simply runs server.start.bat silently) to run the HSQLDB engine in server-mode. These methods create a new database as necessary when you click on the Tables icon in Base. To run in server-mode, you may need to edit the folder/paths in server.start.bat in order to reflect a non-default installation of OOo.
AOO 4.1.x; LO 4.2.x; Windows 7/8 64-bit
Warning: Avoid embedded databases --> Solution: Adopt a portable 'split database' folder
Soli Deo gloria