Fonts: how to import?

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
chrisparry

Fonts: how to import?

Post by chrisparry »

I would like to import some of the fonts I used in Word into Open Office. Is there a way to do this?

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply (Hagar, Moderator).
open office 3.3.0 on windows xp pro
RoryOF

Re: Fonts

Post by RoryOF »

Fonts are installed at system level, using whatever mechanism is appropriate for that operating system. In your case this is Control Panel / Fonts / Add font, as far as I remember (I'm not on a Windows machine so can't check). It will be necessary to at least restart OpenOffice before it will see new fonts, and is usually best to restart your computer so that the Operating System sees the fonts correctly.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
chrisparry

Re: Fonts: how to import?

Post by chrisparry »

thanks Rory, I was trying to do it through Open Office
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This is a common error; in the olden days some word processors used a private cache of fonts and for some reason people still think this is the default behaviour. Modern Operating Systems usually make all fonts available to every application. There are exceptions and there are also fonts that will not work on some operating systems, but these fortunately are getting fewer and fewer. If you should be so unlucky as to find a difficult font, it is usually possible to find another version, or a very close match, which will work.
chrisparry

Post by chrisparry »

Thanks again, I've imported some of my .doc files onto this computer which only has open office installed but some of the fonts that were used on these.doc files are converted by Open Office into another font. I'll have to go back into my old computer and copy the font files over I suppose.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You are probably looking for files of type .ttf. I make a point of saving all .ttf files so that I don't lose fonts when rebuilding computers, although some of the older .ttf fonts do not have useful characters like the euro symbol €, but this doesn't often arise in text work and one can usually substitute it in another font if necessary.