Removing Running Head

Discuss the word processor
sweetpea771

Removing Running Head

Post by sweetpea771 »

How do I remove the "Running head" (when using a header) required on page 1 of an APA title page on the subsequent pages? I have tried to do the different page settings and that only works for the odd/even pages. I need it removed for every page except the first. Thank you for the help. :crazy:

Lynn
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Mozilla Firefox
Hagar Delest

Re: Removing Running Head

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Does it help: [Solved] How to apply different headers on different pages?

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
sweetpea771

Post by sweetpea771 »

This did not help, I tried to remove them from all other pages except the first one and end up with the words running head on all the pages again.
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Mozilla Firefox
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You might find this more recent tutorial of help
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 71&t=44607

Place your cursor on the first page and note the page style in use; this is shown on the status bar at the bottom of the OpenOffice window, normally second box from the left. Now move the cursor to a later page and note the page style in use there. If these are not different, then you need to use a different page style for your first page, with header display on, and turn off the header display for the later page style.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
AndiGoldston

Post by AndiGoldston »

No, we do not want to remove the header for the following pages.

APA format requires the header on the first page to say: "Running head: TITLE OF PAPER".

Then the following pages should say: "TITLE OF PAPER"

The question is, how do we remove the phrase "Running head" from the subsequent pages, while still keeping the header and page numbers throughout the document?
~ Andi / Open Office 3.1 on MacOS
AndiGoldston

Post by AndiGoldston »

SOLVED:

Place your cursor on the header in page 1 ("Running head: TITLE OF PAPER")

Format (on menu bar at the top)

Page.. (found in Format menu)

Header tab (it should already be on the Header tab since you placed your cursor on the header in pg.1)

Make sure the box that says "same content left/right" is NOT CHECKED

This should take care of the issue :)
~ Andi / Open Office 3.1 on MacOS
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

AndiGoldston wrote:SOLVED:

Place your cursor on the header in page 1 ("Running head: TITLE OF PAPER")

Format (on menu bar at the top)

Page.. (found in Format menu)

Header tab (it should already be on the Header tab since you placed your cursor on the header in pg.1)

Make sure the box that says "same content left/right" is NOT CHECKED

This should take care of the issue :)
It will take care of the issue if your paper has only 2 pages, with more you will get the wrong header again unless you use more than one page style. See Tutorial on Page styles and headers/footers.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

AndiGoldston wrote:No, we do not want to remove the header for the following pages.

APA format requires the header on the first page to say: "Running head: TITLE OF PAPER".

Then the following pages should say: "TITLE OF PAPER"

The question is, how do we remove the phrase "Running head" from the subsequent pages, while still keeping the header and page numbers throughout the document?
You need two page styles: One for the first page , and one for the rest of the document. Custom Page Styles start with APA.

If the first page is the normal author etc info you will need to insert a manual break and choose APA.body . Don't reset the page number.

See attached example.
Attachments
apa.example.simple.odt
(15.65 KiB) Downloaded 673 times
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
By Default

Post by By Default »

HERE IS WHAT I DO, & IT WORKS FOR ME:

APA
HOW TO ELIMINATE THE “RUNNING HEAD” ON ALL SUBSEQUENT PAGES

Step1: Proceed with the usual formatting, i.e. Header, Page Number, Double Spacing, etc.

Step2: Compose your first page as usual: Title, Name, Institution.

Step3: Page break. Important: **Select 'FIRST PAGE'** in the scroll down menu.
- In other words, go to Insert> Manuel Break> 'FIRST PAGE'

Step4: Grab another header because you will need one. Again, important: **Select 'FIRST PAGE'.**
- In other words, go to Insert> Header> 'FIRST PAGE'.

-Default should already be selected, and that is what's on the “Running head” page.

- The “Running head” page for some reason needs to be separate from all subsequent pages if you want to eliminate the 'Running head' from all subsequent pages; and that is why these steps are required.

Step5: You're Finished.
- Insert Page Number again, in the new page 2 header. Page Number should automatically say, '2'.
-Proceed as usual, but remember: With every page break from herein, select 'FIRST PAGE' in the scroll down menu.
Open Office version: 3.3
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

By Default wrote:HERE IS WHAT I DO, & IT WORKS FOR ME:

APA
HOW TO ELIMINATE THE “RUNNING HEAD” ON ALL SUBSEQUENT PAGES

Step1: Proceed with the usual formatting, i.e. Header, Page Number, Double Spacing, etc.

Step2: Compose your first page as usual: Title, Name, Institution.

Step3: Page break. Important: **Select 'FIRST PAGE'** in the scroll down menu.
- In other words, go to Insert> Manuel Break> 'FIRST PAGE'
Why would you do this?

Step4: Grab another header because you will need one. Again, important: **Select 'FIRST PAGE'.**
- In other words, go to Insert> Header> 'FIRST PAGE'.

-Default should already be selected, and that is what's on the “Running head” page.
- The “Running head” page for some reason needs to be separate from all subsequent pages if you want to eliminate the 'Running head' from all subsequent pages; and that is why these steps are required.
That is because a header is associated with a Page Style.
Step5: You're Finished.
- Insert Page Number again, in the new page 2 header. Page Number should automatically say, '2'.
-Proceed as usual, but remember: With every page break from herein, select 'FIRST PAGE' in the scroll down menu.
This looks like it will work but it seems, well, rather convoluted. Just use two page styles as I suggest in my reply above. I really don't understand why you would use 'FIRST PAGE' repeatedly when it would be a lot easier to just use 'FIRST PAGE' and another Page Style so that any incidental page breaks are just that and don't need a change in Page Style.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is all set out in the Tutorial I indicated earlier.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
StrudelNZ

Post by StrudelNZ »

I had the problem where every second page would switch to the "first page" page style when wanting a letterhead on the first page and not on the subsequent pages. The insert manual page break method seemed more of a workaround than a fix to me and I thought there must be an easier way than having to mess with the paragraph style as mentioned on [rel=viewtopic.php?f=71&t=44607"]this thread[/rel].

So my input on this thread is the "fix" I came up with for my particular issue which occurred for whatever reason (probably self-generated).

If you go to Format->Page on your first page (which has the "first page" page style), switch to the organiser tab and check that Next Style is set to whatever page style you want for your subsequent pages (in my case "default"). Then on your second page (which has the "default" style), do the same processing and check that Next Style is set to "default" (or your equivalent) also.

Hope someone out there finds this useful! :)
currently using LibreOffice 3.5.7.2 on Ubuntu 12.04
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

StrudelNZ wrote:I had the problem where every second page would switch to the "first page" page style when wanting a letterhead on the first page and not on the subsequent pages. The insert manual page break method seemed more of a workaround than a fix to me and I thought there must be an easier way than having to mess with the paragraph style as mentioned on [rel=viewtopic.php?f=71&t=44607"]this thread[/rel].
The suggestions in that tutorial aren't meant as a "fix", they describe how page styles work and are intended to work. May be complicated to grasp, but that's how it is.
StrudelNZ wrote:So my input on this thread is the "fix" I came up with for my particular issue which occurred for whatever reason (probably self-generated).
StrudelNZ wrote:If you go to Format->Page on your first page (which has the "first page" page style), switch to the organiser tab and check that Next Style is set to whatever page style you want for your subsequent pages (in my case "default"). Then on your second page (which has the "default" style), do the same processing and check that Next Style is set to "default" (or your equivalent) also.
That's not a fix either, but it's how page styles work.

In short: page styles are your friends, not you enemies. Don't try to "fix" them, just use them as intended. And remember that if you intend to save in MS Word format, you will lose much of the functionality until the conversion filter gets fixed (and that would really be a fix).
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

StrudelNZ wrote:I had the problem where every second page would switch to the "first page" page style when wanting a letterhead on the first page and not on the subsequent pages. The insert manual page break method seemed more of a workaround than a fix to me and I thought there must be an easier way than having to mess with the paragraph style as mentioned on [rel=viewtopic.php?f=71&t=44607"]this thread[/rel].

So my input on this thread is the "fix" I came up with for my particular issue which occurred for whatever reason (probably self-generated).

If you go to Format->Page on your first page (which has the "first page" page style), switch to the organiser tab and check that Next Style is set to whatever page style you want for your subsequent pages (in my case "default"). Then on your second page (which has the "default" style), do the same processing and check that Next Style is set to "default" (or your equivalent) also.

Hope someone out there finds this useful! :)
The page break and Next Style are used in different situations. Use the page break when you don't want text to flow from one page to the other, like between a title page and the first page of main text. Use the Next Style when it's OK for text to flow from one page to another, like between the first and second pages of chapters.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

It will work for APA manuscript format. Not a good idea, IMHO, and does not let the user get an idea of how to properly use Page Styles but given APA's slightly unusual demands (i.e. barking mad in some ways) it works though I would not have thought of it myself.

Heaven help the author if for some reason another format is required.