[Solved] Ownership of documents produced with OpenOffice.org

Not sure where to post? Post here!
Cactus Jack

[Solved] Ownership of documents produced with OpenOffice.org

Post by Cactus Jack »

After many years using a PC, my wife decided she wants to go back to a Mac. So we go to BestBuy to select the model she wants. She has lots of documents created in MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint mostly). I've been a PC guy all my life, and all the software we own, including several versions of MS Office, are for PC. I suggested she try OpenOffice, and the sales guy says "all the documents you create in OpenOffice become the property of the 'owners' of OpenOffice."

Any truth to this? I never trust 75% of what those Geek Squad guys say, but wanted to check here. I can't find any reference to this on the OpenOffice.org site.

Thanks,
Jack
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice .3x on MacOS 10.x
floris v
Volunteer

Re: Ownership of documents produced with OpenOffice

Post by floris v »

That's absolute nonsense. I suppose he said it because he can't make any money out of OpenOffice. You own the documents that you make with any word processor, not only OpenOffice.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Ownership of documents produced with OpenOffice.org

Post by thomasjk »

+1 A lot of BS but that's what I'd expect at Best Buy.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
JohnSUN-Pensioner
Volunteer

Post by JohnSUN-Pensioner »

I don't think that the seller wanted to cheat buyers.
Rather, it is simply a misunderstanding.
This sales guy tried to repeat a rumor that he heard somewhere:
ODF-document (native format of OpenOffice.org) can open the user of OpenOffice.org. In that sense, MSOffice not cope with it.
He did not know what tells
I may not have a lot to give but what I got I'll give to you...
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5, LibreOffice 6.4.4.2 (x64) on Windows 7
If you think that I did not answer your question, make allowances for my imperfect English
Cactus Jack

Post by Cactus Jack »

Thanks, guys. I didn't think he knew what he was talking about. I do buy from BestBuy quite a bit, but never before doing my own research. I just don't think most of the sales people know what they're talking about.

Jack
OpenOffice .3x on MacOS 10.x
robweir

Re: [Solved] Ownership of documents produced with OpenOffice

Post by robweir »

Cactus Jack wrote:After many years using a PC, my wife decided she wants to go back to a Mac. So we go to BestBuy to select the model she wants. She has lots of documents created in MS Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint mostly). I've been a PC guy all my life, and all the software we own, including several versions of MS Office, are for PC. I suggested she try OpenOffice, and the sales guy says "all the documents you create in OpenOffice become the property of the 'owners' of OpenOffice."

A few years ago it was reported that Microsoft was giving BestBuy "anti Linux training" in order to promote the sales of MS Windows. I wonder if the same is going on with Office?

In any case, as the author of a document, you own it. The only exception might be if you have assigned ownership of your work to an employer or it is a work for hire, in which case they own your document. But there is absolutely nothing that would hand ownership of your document over to the OpenOffice project.

-Rob
OOo 3.3.0 through AOO 4.0.1 on Windows XP/7/8/8.1 and Ubuntu 12.04
Apache OpenOffice Committer/PMC