Editing charts from PowerPoint

Discuss the presentation application
zen_osla

Editing charts from PowerPoint

Post by zen_osla »

Dear All,
I am not sure whether it is a common error but it sure is annoying for me. ;) When I open presentations created previously in Power Point I cannot edit the charts' data. Whenever I click on a chart made in PP, the OpenOffice opens a blank Calc sheet with no data. Is there any solution? Can OpenOffice edit the charts made in PP? I cooperate with people who do not use OpenOffice, so it is a real must for me.

Best regards,
Adrian Wojcik
Hagar Delest

Re: editing charts from PP

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can you upload a small sample file? If bigger than 128kB, use a file sharing web site (like mediafire.com).
 Edit: It works fine for me. I added an Excel Chart in a PP file, if I open it with OOo, I've access to the sheets and they can be accessed either with Excel or with Calc. 
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

I inserted a chart in PowerPoint 2003 and saved that presentation.
If I open the .ppt file in Impress on a PC without Office 2003 installed, the chart works fine. If I double click it, it is opened with Microsoft Graph 97, which may be due to the fact that I have an old Excel 97 version installed there.
So I can't test what it would be if no MS Office component was installed at all.

The best thing would indeed be if you could post a sample file, then other people with a stand-alone OpenOffice installation could test it.

In case your issue is solved, please add "[Solved]" in your first post title (by using the edit button)!

KR, phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Phil wrote:So I can't test what it would be if no MS Office component was installed at all.
You can tell OOo to at least open the embedded MS Office files with OOo in Tools>Options>Load/Save>Microsoft Office and check the Excel entries.
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:You can tell OOo to at least open the embedded MS Office files with OOo in Tools>Options>Load/Save>Microsoft Office and check the Excel entries.
Good hint! That indeed applies to Excel charts in presentations.

However, PowerPoint also allows to create charts that are not Excel objects. And this may be what zen_osla refers to.
These objects still open in Microsoft Graph, which seems to be a component of MS Office.
So I suspect that these PowerPoint chart objects cannot be edited if MS Office is not installed. :(

KR, phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
zen_osla

Post by zen_osla »

Thank you for all of your answers. Unfortunately I was afraid that the OO is not able to open the charts from Power Point that are not Excell files. Anyway, if you still want to check my file I have uploaded it to:

http://cbu.psychologia.pl/atlas/example.ppt

Warm regards,
zen osla
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Phil is right I fear. I can open it because the MS Graph component is installed on my system but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to open it on my Linux box this evening.
zen_osla

Post by zen_osla »

Not good. Today I downloaded OO 3.0 beta version and it still does not handle with PP import. :(

Warm regards,
zen osla
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Why 3.0 should have? It's a problem with the application needed to handle the MS Graph object, it's a too small component to have been taken into account in the OOo build I think.

NB: I can't edit the chart neither under Ubuntu as suspected.