[Solved] Spell check doesn't work

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
peter dickinson

[Solved] Spell check doesn't work

Post by peter dickinson »

spell check does not work I have entered language as instructed set automatic. It reports check document from beginning I tick yes and it reports complete when there are obvious mistakes. Also no red underlines appear. Am I missing something.

Peter

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply (Hagar, Moderator).
Last edited by thomasjk on Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mark thread [Solved] and add green checkmark
open office 3.3(en-GB) windows 7 home
floris v
Volunteer

Re: spell check

Post by floris v »

Try Tutorial Spell check and Language configuration. If that doesn't help you, please tell us at what point in the list things go wrong. And please note that the green tick mark is meant to accentuate solved topics.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Spell check doesn't work

Post by Bill »

The language must be set and a spellcheck dictionary must be available for the language:

[Solved] Spellcheck not working??
peter dickinson

Post by peter dickinson »

Hi

All settings correct problem is I was doing notes for a talk and used number indents and all upper case. It appears this confuses spell check and it returns all correct ??
very strange.

Thanks

Peter
open office 3.3(en-GB) windows 7 home
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

In Tools>Options>Language Settings>Writing Aids, go to the lower section (Options) and make sure that the entry Check uppercase words is activated.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
nilsyoung

Post by nilsyoung »

I am having the same problem: I click on the spellcheck button & get the "The spellcheck is complete" box with no errors found even though I know there are errors. Time after time.
I read the previous comments & replies. Looks good but none of the items show up on my screen. I don't get "Tools>Options>Language Settings>Writing Aids." I don't get "writing aids" anywhere.
This alone is one thing. Not having as-I-type "smart quotes" is also a bigtime bother. But that's another problem for later I guess.
Right now I'd just like to have the wiggly red lines under my spelling errors so I can at least know I've screwed that up.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows X
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Do you get as far as /Tools /Options /Language settings? If so, click on the + sign or the black triangle (differs according to operating system in use) in front of Language Settings to reveal the submenu containing Writing Aids.

It may be simpler to rename your OO user profile.

As your Forum .sig says you are using Windows s close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer)
Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a good choice. Start OpenOffice.

This cures almost all spellcheck problems.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
nilsyoung

Post by nilsyoung »

Thanks. That fixed it. Exploring all the little extra avenues (the + signs, for example) ain't in my genetic code, evidently.
OpenOffice 4.1.3 on Windows X
jambon

Re: [Solved] Spell check doesn't work

Post by jambon »

Hi ,

I am having this exact problem .

The spell check reports spell check finished while there are still numerous errors .

I have tried changing things around in tools options languages but no success . I have chosen a language(usa English) with that abc and blue tick beside it as the default language for documents and all else but no cigar . I think my problem could be that the language I want to use; English(Eire) ,has no dictionary . Can I download one ?

I cant get the fix below to work as the search in the file explorer comes up empty ;

"As your Forum .sig says you are using Windows s close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer)
Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a good choice. Start OpenOffice."

Now that I think of it I think tried open office a few years back but ended up just ponying out for MS word because I couldnt get around this spellcheck issue .

Any help is seriously appreciated .

J
Open office 4.1.5 Windows 8 (64)
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

jambon wrote:I think my problem could be that the language I want to use; English(Eire) ,has no dictionary .
I use English(UK) and add any local spellings to a custom dictionary
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10