Animated GIFs

Discuss the presentation application
dgoad

Animated GIFs

Post by dgoad »

I just installed Open Office on my desktop and I seem to be have a small problem. I have Open Office on my U3 USB Drive. I used this program to do a presentation. In the presentation I have a slide that I placed a bitmap animation using 10 bmp pictures. In the presentation the pictures do not show up on the slide while int edit view, all I see is just a square box where they will go. However, when the show is playing full screen the slide will show correctly and the animation works great.
Yesterday, I downloaded the new version of Open Office to my desktop. When I open the same presentation I am now seeing the small pictures running an animation in the edit view and I see nothing at all on the slide during full screen play. I have moved my USB drive from laptop to desktop and have run the presentation in every combination I can think of, but I get the same results. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong. Of course, I am thinking that I am supposed to see the pictures doing the animation during both edit and display.

Dan
micha137

Re: Animated GIFs

Post by micha137 »

Hi there,
as I learned on a (this ?) forum, there are a lot of different flavours of *.gif graphics files. Some play in openoffice, some won't, for whatever reason some just play in the edit mode of Impress. (I didn't encounter the gifs yet that just play in presentation mode but wouldn't be surprised)
My workaround is: Open the animated gif in the current version of the Gimp and save them as animated graphics under Gimp again. Usually you don't see any difference in file size. But Gimp seems to clean up the *.gif zoo to some new standard format so the Gimp-versions of my animated gifs alway play perfectly under openoffice.

regards
micha137
OOo 3.0.X on Ubuntu 8.x
dgoad

Re: Animated GIFs

Post by dgoad »

Thanks for the information,
I will try something like this and see what happens. I used the animation function in OO Impress to create the animation. I used 10 different BMP pictures. Adding the pictures went well. If fact, the whole process went well. I was able to add the pictures, create the animation and see it as I was doing it. This was until I went to full screen mode and back to edit mode. It looks great in full screen, but now it is blank in edit mode. This was not too bad because it worked where it was needed. It was just crazy when I put the presentation on the desktop computer and ran it again. Now it works in edit mode and not in full screen mode. Really strange. I am new to OpenOffice and I am still working my way around. I was sure that I was doing something wrong. I will go into GImp and do the animation there and then put it in OpenOffice Impress and see what happens.
Once again thanks,
dgoad