[Issue] How to make this numbered list the default?

Discuss the word processor
Raptor88

[Issue] How to make this numbered list the default?

Post by Raptor88 »

New Open Office user and really like OOWriter so far. Can't believe it's free.
I've been trying all day (like 8 hours) to figure out how to have numbered lists with sub lists the way I want them. Have done so much Googling that I keep seeing the same things again. I need some serious help.

The type of numbered list that I want as the default looks like this:

Code: Select all

1. Level one.
        a) Level two.
            *) Level three.
                *) Level four.
        b) Level two again.
    2. Level one again.
(The * characters above represent the usual bullet dots.)
This format is available in the BULLETS & NUMBERING > OUTLINE menu.
I want that formatting to be the default numbered list when I open a new document and press the F12 key.

No matter what I try, the standard default numbered list occurs that looks like this:

Code: Select all

1. Level one.
        1. Level two
Could some kind soul please give me a step-by-step procedure on how to make the numbered list I want as the default for all documents?

Thanks,
Raptor
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Issue (link to a bug report).
Open Office Version 3.3
Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Re: How to make this numbered list the default?

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You've to create a custom template: [Tutorial] Creating a new default template.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Raptor88

Post by Raptor88 »

Hagar Delest wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum!

You've to create a custom template: [Tutorial] Creating a new default template.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
Hi Hagar,

Thanks for the welcome!

I saw the write-up that you linked to during my 8 hours of Googling and trying to figure my problem out. Wasn't successful trying it though. I wasn't able to create a style that would work.

Thanks,
Raptor
Open Office Version 3.3
Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You need to try again; use some simple style until you get the hang of it. It is helpful if you post a query with details of what you are doing, and perhaps a small sample file, be it template or document, as then you are likely to get very relevant help.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

Raptor88 wrote:... I want that formatting to be the default numbered list when I open a new document and press the F12 key. ...
Sorry, this is not possible. You cannot modify the default (i.e., built-in) list configuration in any way.

The only really effective way to manage lists in a document is to use Writer's list styles and avoid the toolbar buttons entirely.

You can create a custom list style from a sample list in the text, then save that document as a template. Later documents created from that template will have your custom style available, or you can load the styles from it directly into any document. If you make the template your default template, then any new text document will have your custom list style available.

Styles can be applied in just a couple of clicks--not as easy/accessible as the toolbar, but not too bad.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Note that if you want to mix bullets with numbering, then there is a trick: you can't have bullets in the Outline Numbering dialog. In this case, set to None the field for the heading to be bullet-ed and in the text, still apply a Heading x style but in its properties, in the Outline & Numbering tab, set the level to the value needed and change the Numbering Style.

NB: seeing acknak's reply, I new see what you mean (I was on the ToC in fact): it has been requested, you should vote for it: [Issue] Default Bullet Point Settings (Issue 9437).
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The user can't change the default format of lists created by using the F12 key. Turning numbering on by pressing the F12 key creates a new hidden numbering style based on the first selection on the Outline tab of the Bullets and Numbering window. The user can change the selection for the current list, but that selection doesn't become the default for subsequent lists.

Bug 46184 - Customize Bullets and Numbering

Bug 69459 - lists don't get assigned a default style
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

46184 and 69459 should be closed as duplicates of Issue 9437 I guess (has 53 votes).
Raptor88

Post by Raptor88 »

Hi Folks,

Thanks so much for all of your feedback!
I signed up for an account with apache.org and voted for Issue 9437.

"Raptor88 wrote:... I want that formatting to be the default numbered list when I open a new document and press the F12 key. ..."
>> acknak said: Sorry, this is not possible. You cannot modify the default (i.e., built-in) list configuration in any way.

No wonder I wasn't able to change the default numbered list when pressing the F12 key. I'll start researching a custom list style and forget about the F12 key.

Thanks again,
Sky
Open Office Version 3.3
Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If you still want a shortcut, you can set one to apply a style (paragraph, numbering, ...). See Tools>Customize>Keyboard tab then Category bottom left (Styles is the last entry of the list).
Raptor88

Re: [Issue] How to make this numbered list the default?

Post by Raptor88 »

by Hagar Delest » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:05 am
If you still want a shortcut, you can set one to apply a style (paragraph, numbering, ...). See Tools>Customize>Keyboard tab then Category bottom left (Styles is the last entry of the list).

Thanks for your tips Hagar. I'll research how to do keyboard shortcuts also.

Sky
Open Office Version 3.3
Windows 7