Document filled with #####

Discuss the word processor
buonoj

Document filled with #####

Post by buonoj »

I just opened an important document this morning and instead of it being filled with characters from last night, it was filled with ######, this and other documents are doing this but not all. Any ideas on what caused it and more importantly how to get back to the text i typed?

john
open office 3.3.0 on an iMac
squenson
Volunteer

Re: document filled with #####

Post by squenson »

Welcome to this forum, buonoj!

What cause this is usually a glitch in the software. This bug has been around for years and nobody has found it... Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do, your file is lost forever. Try finding a similar file with the same name but different extension on your disk. Don't you have something like Time Machine on the Mac which makes automatic backup of files? I do hope that you have a backup, if not, now you will take a few seconds every twenty minutes to open file manager, select the file, press Ctrl-c and Ctrl-v to make a copy.
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04
Hagar Delest

Re: Document filled with #####

Post by Hagar Delest »

Sadly, nothing to do: 22 page term paper replaced with pound signs.

Check the temporary folder of the system (see in OOo Tools>Options>OOo>Paths). If there are folders like sgmlf.tmp with a file having the same name inside, make a copy of that file, rename it in .odt and cross your fingers.

Else, nothing to do I fear.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10