OOo Won't Open My Publisher Files

Not sure where to post? Post here!
ButterflyMcGrew

OOo Won't Open My Publisher Files

Post by ButterflyMcGrew »

I just downloaded OO 3.3 (I've got Windows 7) not two hours ago, and a lot of its terminology is still unfamiliar to me. It opens up my .doc files fine, but not my .pub files. Is OO equipped to do so and which of its functions most closely corresponds to Publisher in case I've got to start over with my brochures, greeting cards, post cards etc. from scratch? :?
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows 7
RoryOF

Re: OO Won't Open My Publisher Files

Post by RoryOF »

It doesn't open .pub files. Writer is good for book-type text layout, with inserted illustrations. Draw is better for fancy artwork, but is not as far advanced as many commercial programs.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: OO Won't Open My Publisher Files

Post by TheGurkha »

Nothing opens publisher files apart from Publisher. But this might help:

[Solved] How to open Publisher Files in OOo.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
gdiff

Re: OOo Won't Open My Publisher Files

Post by gdiff »

ButterflyMcGrew wrote:Is OO equipped to do so and which of its functions most closely corresponds to Publisher in case I've got to start over with my brochures, greeting cards, post cards etc. from scratch? :?
The Drawing functions do a decent job for lightweight page layout tasks (I start a new Drawing from the File menu in LibreOffice) but for proper page layout tasks you're probably better off using a tool designed for the job. On Linux and Mac OS I use Scribus, which you can get from http://www.scribus.net/, but for Windows I don't know of open source software that does a good job. You can get PagePlus without charge from http://www.serif.com/desktop-publishing-software/ though.
LibreOffice 3.4 on OS X and Ubuntu