Reporting Single Records/

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base
Chrisl

Reporting Single Records/

Post by Chrisl »

Hello:

I'm a neophyte to database creation.

Does Base reporting allow for printing a report based on a SINGLE RECORD? I will explain:

I'd be using Base to create a quote form for our business and it would be used by multiple agents. The quote form would provide entry of data for sales prospects and would provide information necessary in creating proposals (in a non-Open Office separate application). The Base form once printed as a report would be used simply for reference. The form may be used to enter data specific and unique to each record (e.g. information related to John Smith, Jane Doe, Mark Jones, etc.)

In creating a report, then, I would want to be able to create a report based on a single record. When creating a proposal for John Smith based on information gathered from John Smith, I would NOT want information in a report from Jane Doe, etc. Such information would be meaningless, extraneous, etc. A single white paper report printed out after entering a single record in the database to be used for reference.

Is this possible?

Is there a way in creating a form to include/create a button (pointing to a macro?) when clicked on at the end of filling out the form based on each individual record that would automatically then, print a report showing only the single record?

Thanks.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows 7 Pro
Arineckaig
Volunteer

Re: Reporting Single Records/

Post by Arineckaig »

A single white paper report printed out after entering a single record in the database to be used for reference.
Is this possible?
Welcome to the forum. It should certainly be possible to produce such reports. The various elements of OpenOffice work well together. For example, it is quite possible to create a Writer document in the layout required for your quotes with form controls that can readily be filled with the required content from a particular record read from either a table or a query in a separate Base file provided the database has been registered with OpenOffice. With any open Writer document, it is possible to press f4 to open a frame at the top which lists all the 'registered' databases from which the content of their tables and queries can be displayed and the required data used to fill the form control fields in the Writer document: it is similar to the mail merge process.

The operation is not specifically documented in the User Guides but an introductory tutorial can be found at http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 83&t=40493.
When this issue has been resolved, it would help other users of the forum if you add the word - [Solved] - to the Subject line of your 1st post (edit button top right).
AOOo 4.1.5 & LO 6 on MS Windows 10 MySQL and HSQLDB
F3K Total
Volunteer

Re: Reporting Single Records/

Post by F3K Total »

Hello,
i attached an example using a macro with mailmerge.

1.) register DB "Contacts"
2.) exchange the database in writer file "Single_Row_Print.odt" to your location of "Contacts", save.
3.) Open form "contacts" in the .odb, select a row and hit a button.

Greats R
Attachments
single_row_report.zip
(27.3 KiB) Downloaded 790 times
  • MMove 1.0.6
  • Extension for easy, exact positioning of shapes, pictures, controls, frames ...
  • my current system
  • Windows 10 AOO, LOLinux Mint AOO, LO