[Solved] Forums statistics

The place for discussions and decisions about the forum
mriosv
Volunteer

[Solved] Forums statistics

Post by mriosv »

How we can get the statistics of the forums from 1/October/2011?
And Is there the number of New topics and the Solved topics?
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
LibreOffice 3.5.4 AOo-3.4 on Win 7 Ultimate
Hagar Delest

Re: Forums statistics

Post by Hagar Delest »

What kind of statistics do you need?
Now that Terry has retired, you need to contact Drew if he's still willing to do some queries on the database. Else, it's worth a question on the dev-ooo mailing list to know who is really in charge now.

For the number of solved topics, you can search for topics containing "solved" in the title only. Seems to be 14003 right now (Edit: applies to all the sections, including admin forum and archives). No other way to find them AFAIK, that's why it's important to tag them in the first post, which is the title also.

What do you mean by new topics? There is a line at the bottom of the main index page that shows:
Statistics
Total posts 205023 • Total topics 41412 • Total members 46301 • Our newest member telegiovi

I keep some records here too: 47 days.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I think mriosv possibly is thinking along the same lines as myself, that in the monthly "podling" reports to Apache Board we should try to include some statistics about the Forum, to the effect that in the last period there were so many new postings, so many new registrations, and so many board accesses. Not much information, but just enough to raise the Forum profile within the Apache scene. If we had a record of the statistics at 01 October 2011 and 31 Dec 2011 we would have a three month period to report.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
mriosv
Volunteer

Post by mriosv »

Rory have read my mind.
Well I am not very happy with some things in the podling, maybe not the only one. I think in the ML too much bla.. bla.. bla.. little productive, and more arrogance than needed with a not very nice language. And a few doing the productive work.
A Christmas card showing what is going on in the forums, could help the project to achieve a better way.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I see, it could make sense indeed.

Could we list the kind of metrics we would like to have. Here are my thoughts:
- Basic statistics (shown at bottom of index page, I have the count since day 1).
- Number of solved topics. Criterias:
  • Solved tag in the topic title only
  • All forums except admins and archives
- Number of banned/deleted accounts
- Board access: no idea how to get that.
For each, a variation vs previous month will be calculated.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Suppose we take the increase in statistics between Apache Day and 31 December 2011; this gives very close to a three month period. We then report that there were so many new subscribers, topics and postings for that three months. We don't say any more than that; it will be just enough to bring the Forum into more prominence in the Apache world than it is. We should remind them that every posting is one email they don't have to deal with!
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

RoryOF wrote:We should remind them that every posting is one email they don't have to deal with!
Very good point!

Note that I'm talking here about some figures that we could "publish" each month. I like this kind of report, it helps to check how we are doing.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I agree we should publish every month to the Apache list, as well as on the Forum. In the initial instance, let us do a three month report.
mriosv
Volunteer

Post by mriosv »

This can make more understandable, how the forums are helping in maintain a close connection with the users community, in this meanwhile.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

See (in Forum Feedback for more visibility): Forum statistics: monthly report.
I don't feel the courage to write something for the mailing list, someone could do it and give a link to that topic. If you've comments or changes to be made, I'll be off line for the next 3 days.

Happy New Year!
mriosv
Volunteer

Post by mriosv »

Hi Hagar, many thanks. I hope you enjoy this days.

And a best world for the new year.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

I'll post a message on my Friday on the dev list unless someone beats me to it.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

FJCC wrote:I'll post a message on my Friday on the dev list unless someone beats me to it.
Go ahead,FJCC. My email is down - ISP servers have gone on holiday (or the boy on duty to press the reset button has escaped). This has happened before over the Christmas holidays and I don't expect a fix before Tuesday 03 January 2012. I can be reached by PM if needed. I was talking about such a posting with mriosv but can't make it without email.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

I did post a message on the dev list and a few responses have come in. Andrew Rist suggested making a blog post from Hagar's data. I understand Hagar is off line for a few days, so that question will have to wait for next week.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
mriosv
Volunteer

Post by mriosv »

I have seen in ML how a PPMC member is going to post in the blog, the Hagar's post about statistics. Where it can be seen the very good job of the forums.

Thanks, but this is for me a clear intention of this particular PPMC member to appropriate of something that he did not collaborate at all (+0).

Well, I think this is enough for me.

I know, I init this thread with the intention of make visible how valuable are the forums in the proyect, what I hope have been reached. My special thanks Hagar.

I reduce my participation to volunteer in the Spanish forum.

Best wishes for everybody and for the project.

Miguel Ángel.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

mriosv wrote:I have seen in ML how a PPMC member is going to post in the blog, the Hagar's post about statistics. Where it can be seen the very good job of the forums.

Thanks, but this is for me a clear intention of this particular PPMC member to appropriate of something that he did not collaborate at all (+0).

Well, I think this is enough for me.

I know, I init this thread with the intention of make visible how valuable are the forums in the proyect, what I hope have been reached. My special thanks Hagar.

I reduce my participation to volunteer in the Spanish forum.

Best wishes for everybody and for the project.

Miguel Ángel.
I'm inclined to think (and hope vaguely that it's justified) that Rob Weir is doing this as a kind of penance for his former ill behaviour toward the forums and their volunteers. He is now after all contributing some of his time to make the work of the forums better known.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

I've been following the dev list and am subscribed to a couple of the mailing lists. My clear impression is that the subscribers are genuine. I do not see hostility towards this forum. Occasional abrasiveness is a human attribute. With regard to the person mentioned, he impresses me as a prime mover and a person with the best interests of the project at heart.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

mriosv wrote:but this is for me a clear intention of this particular PPMC member to appropriate of something that he did not collaborate at all (+0).
You may have seen it already but I've asked him to clearly state who was the author.
For me also, he seems to be genuine.
mriosv wrote:I reduce my participation to volunteer in the Spanish forum.
Is it linked to personal context (no reason to be provided) or to a loss of interest?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

mriosv wrote:I reduce my participation to volunteer in the Spanish forum.
I hope this won't mean that we will see no more of you, Miguel, even if you reduce your involvement.

I make no personal comment about individuals on the Mailing List, other than to say that some of the initial abrasiveness of postings seems to have reduced. On this Forum we are conscious of the possibility of such abrasiveness, sometimes from personal frustration or awareness of User error, sometimes from posting in a non native language, and all try to minimise this. The mailing lists have many good suggestions and now that the code has been sorted out for copyright compliance and test builds their overall focus is moving towards new releases for major platforms. The sooner builds for 3.4 are available the better for the AOO project; of course, 3.4 will only be a holding release marking a successful transition and copyright clearance - the big test will be the build after.

Forum Volunteers will remember our fears of unwanted interference; these have not materialised - we are left to get on with running/using the Forum, which is what we wanted.