Headers and Footers in Word 2007

Talk about anything at all....
johnwaller

Headers and Footers in Word 2007

Post by johnwaller »

I am writing a book on history which has many time lines in it.

On each page I want to show the reader the dates covered by the page, and a topic highlight. The header seems to be the best place for this information. I prefer to put the page number in the footer.

For example I might have: "9 March 1942: Surrender!"

I can't see how to do this with sections except to have each page a section; this sounds messy; is there a better way, please?
Microsoft Office Word 2007 / Microsoft Windows XP / Home Edition / Version 2002 / Service Pack 2
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Headers and Footers in Word 2007

Post by Bill »

You should ask this on a forum for Word 2007. This forum is for OpenOffice.org.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

This is a forum for OpenOffice.org, LibreOffice and other related products that use the Open Document Format. Someone here might know about Microsoft Word, but your chances of getting an answer would be far better in a forum dedicated to that product.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

First, welcome to the forum.
This forum is about OpenOffice.org and its forks, not about Word 2007. If you want to save your work in Word 2007 format, you will get problems with compatibility. Better work with OOo's native format.
Now for your question. I don't think that headers are a good place for leading text that changes every page. Just imagine that you want to change the paper margins of a manuscript with several hundreds of pages - for each page style.
A better way may be to insert your body text in linked frames, then you can enter the page header at the top of the page.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Come to think of it - it's better to put your header text in the frame and to anchor that to the page.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum