Installing OpenOffice.org on Windows 7 64 bit

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
armo0421

Installing OpenOffice.org on Windows 7 64 bit

Post by armo0421 »

I have tried repeatedly to install Open Office on my new computer which runs Windows 7 64 bit. It downloads the installation, but then it won't install it unless it takes a lot longer than I thought it should. I had it on my old computer running XP and it install with no problems in a short period of time. I have been trying for almost two hours now and cannot get it to install. If it is installed, I can't find it anywhere on my computer. I saw that another person had the same problem, but I didn't see where anything was posted that fixed the problem.
Open Office 3.?, Windows 7 64 Bit
Hagar Delest

Re: Installing OpenOffice on Windows 7 64 bit

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Are you sure that there is no security application that could prevent OOo from installing? Have you enough rights?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Right Click on the downloaded file and select Run As Administrator.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
SantasOldestElf

Post by SantasOldestElf »

Go to openoffice.org to download; not .com :crazy:
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows 7
Skyrider777

Post by Skyrider777 »

Brand new HP ProBook machine, Intel i5, Windows 7 and 64 bit will NOT install OpenOffice 3.3.0. Immediately after download and attempted install it quits on unpack and says Error Opening File for Writing. I've downloaded the software three times and tried installing uncountable times. I have right mouse clicked and tried installing as the Administrator (although I'm the only person involved). Same error. I don't even get to first base. Absolutely cannot afford Windows Office. Now I'm wondering if I have the wrong computer after spending all my money. I have Googled my question every way I can think of and only find this one thread. I'm going out of my mind. :crazy:
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Windows 7 64 bit
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You are logged on as Administrator? Good. Now right click on the install file and select "Run as Administrator" (two Administrator selections!). Now try to install OpenOffice. There is nothing wrong with your computer choice. If the above advice doesn't work, then you may need to remove any partial installs before trying a new attempt. If you need advice on that please post again and a Forum volunteer using Windows 7 will pick up the thread.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Skyrider777

Post by Skyrider777 »

Yes, I have tried selecting being the Administrator with exactly the same results. QUESTION: Are you SURE OO works with Win 7 SIXTY-FOUR BIT???

Also you mention something about TWO administrations? I only see the one when I right mouse click on the install file. ???
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Skyrider777 wrote:QUESTION: Are you SURE OO works with Win 7 SIXTY-FOUR BIT???
Yes, I installed it on my 64bit system. Have not used it many times since I use my Seven system very rarely. But it works.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Skyrider777 wrote:Also you mention something about TWO administrations? I only see the one when I right mouse click on the install file. ???
You are logged on as Administrator (one instance) then Right Click on the file and select "Run as Administrator" (second instance).
Last edited by RoryOF on Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Skyrider777

Post by Skyrider777 »

This is strange, indeed!

I went to the Start button, typed in "administrator" and selected, "Create Administrator Account" like (I guess) there had never been one. It showed a sliding scale as to when and if I wanted to be asked about something and left it in the default mode. Then it asked if I was willing to make changes to the cornputer, and I said, "yes." Then it went through it's motions of creating that account. I went back to the download. I had two downloads

OOo_3.3.0_Win_x86_install-wJRE_en-US (1)
OOo_3.3.0_Win_x86_install-wJRE_en-US

and as I had always selected the 2nd one with the right mouse button I decided to try the top one with the right mouse button. I'm not sure it would have made any difference. I watched it unpack and install. I just about fell off of my chair.

I am so excited I wrote this first so I didn't forget anything that happened. If you don't hear from me again, it worked! :bravo:
Skyrider777

Post by Skyrider777 »

It worked!

THANKS for your help!
DonaRider

Re: Installing OpenOffice.org on Windows 7 64 bit

Post by DonaRider »

Been attempting the download/intallation on a 2 week old W7 64 installation on a new hard drive in my HP laptop. Previous hard drive running W Vista used OO very well, and I wanted to continue with an excellent product. Strangely, the first down load seemed to work ok, for a few days...then no response from the machine when clicking the couple of desk top short cuts to frequently accessed files. Tried everything including 'start' button way into the program etc - no response other than a short flick from the disc light. Hmmm, uninstall and reinstall may be required... All done as per screen prompts - same flick and nothing more. Tried un/re install again... tried "repair" on the menu ... nothing but the flick. Looking for "help" on the "readme" eventually I found this forum thread for the W7 64 with the helpful 'Adminstrator' x2 procedure [which I noticed showed some thousands of reads - so I am not alone]. Followed all those steps to install but i am still faced with a quick flick of disc light and no more when trying to start from any source - 'shortcut' or 'start' button or rightclick 'run' from that pop-up menu or even 'run as administrator' on that pop up. I have now regeistered and am appealing for some kind soul to show me the way out of this blind alley - please.
OpenOffice3.3 on Windows7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Open Taskmaster and close any soffice processes running on the processes tab. If these are left over, often after a crash or an improper computer shutdown, they prevent Openoffice running.
DonaRider

Post by DonaRider »

Thanks for your suggestion to check Task Manager. When called up, there are no 'soffice' lines visible, so no deletions possible or needed, I assume. Since posting previous long explanations, i have uninstalled 'Java JRE 32' old copy, having checked that angle through exploring Java site advice, whilst reloading a new Java 64 bit version - in case there were some problems associated. Just for good measure, uninstalled OO completely, and reinstalled afresh using Adminitrator steps [x2] as helpfully spelled out in previous posts... sadly still the same disc flick and nothing more. Incidendally, all other software appears to be running quite well for me. There must be something I am doing incorrectly - some jot or tittle out of order ... thanks for your help, please...
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Since it used to work, you can try to reset your OOo user profile.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice, when it requires Java, must have a 32 bit Java, and of version 1.6 (not 1.7! A fix is being worked on for _new_ release of Apache Open Office - don't hold your breath). I understand that one can have Java 64 and Java 32 installed at the same time. Having installed Java 32 bit, one needs to use / Tools / Options / OpenOffice.org :Java and wait for the installed Java 32 to appear, then select the checkbox beside it. More than that I cannot tell you, as I have no Windows 7 experience.
DonaRider

Post by DonaRider »

Thanks for that tip. I ran a "How do I tell which version..." test for my system on the Java website - result =x86 - which I understand to be the needed 32 bit version. Could not see a "1.6" or "1.7" but it did say "version 02". Also from the OOo printed out "readme" file [that shows up after the unpack of the download] I discovered - "...make sure 'msvc90.dll' is installed on the system. Tried to find it by search of system - no result, so presumably it is not on the system. So, in very deep water now, launched out on Google raft to find out what and where about it...ran aground on an older [2010] posting on this forum relating to W7 download problems being fixed by "un-install the "IE9" - suggesting that in so doing ...all wall headbanking will cease forthwith... or some such hopeful comment. I did find a site with a file "msvc90.dll" but am hesitant to download, because I also found that some problem exists about installing and registering it. So, here I am, totally confused, marooned and still without OOo function, even after trying a fresh download from an Australian mirror site today, following an uninstall and clean out of all previous OO files from my system AGAIN.
One thought though as I write this, as I performed that most recent uninstall, I did see numerous copies of some Windows C++ type program files listed [all different though]. I wonder if their old codes/paths there causing OO to stumble and not run?? Anyway, back to the main track...
In an effort to self help, I have printed [from a PDF download] the step by step OOo3 "Installation Guide" dated Rev1.1 June 2010.
On p8, "System Requirements" it says JRE 1.4 or newer and Java Access Bridge are both needed on the system - giving web address for down load, which I have done, placing those files in the same directory as OOo application download.
On p11, I found a reference to "Antivirus and firewalls" needing to be diabled. Could that be the problem? Should I unplug the internet comnection and re-run the install proceedure, while my CA Antivirus is temporarily disabled?
Also during the uninstall/cleanout, I found that the previous install did not write any Openoffice data into the ...\AppData\Roaming\ ... directory. Just reporting that as a possible clue...
On p12, all actions set out worked ok. So did all on p13. So did p14, right through to "Finish" which I clicked, and as each time I have gone through that process, there it ends.
On p15, the title "Removal" seems to mean removal of OOo from the system, and states that "a survey form will open on your browser".. I may be worth noting that not once, in all the many [10+] times I have removed OOo has that survey opened for me. The attempt is made by the processor but an "Oops" type message shows up after a delay of 20 or so seconds.
On pp 16-23 other operating systems are shown in detail not needed by a W7 user, so we come to p24...
There "First program startup" should open the Welcome Wizard... I gather that it invites a registration etc etc... but these delights are yet in store...
Perhaps my long and perhaps convoluted set out of my encounter with the OOo installation labyrinth may trigger some positive response from kind and more experienced user..."Ah yes! you need to... " anything of help from some of the obvious thousands of readers of problems with W7 64 bit would be most welcome...
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

DonaRider wrote:Thanks for that tip. I ran a "How do I tell which version..." test for my system on the Java website - result =x86 - which I understand to be the needed 32 bit version. Could not see a "1.6" or "1.7" but it did say "version 02".
The test on java.com should tell you the version (1.6 or 1.7) and the update. I have no idea what "version 02" is. Currently, version 1.6 update 30 is available from java.com, and version 1.7 update 2 is available from Oracle. For OOo, you need version 1.6.
DonaRider

Post by DonaRider »

Thanks again for the effort expended by all to help me out of my dilema. With much anxiety I looked at the other software that I use [drawing/modelling] which I have paid dearly for and is functioning so I can earn a living, and I have decided to walk away from OOo. There is too much at risk for me to potentially make all of that unstable by my muddling with things I don't know enough about [such as IE9 removal when all their 'help' is web based]. I did find another package called LibreOffice. That software I have down loaded and installed without any problem and find it suitable for my simple WP needs. So my thanks to all who helped me, and put time into reading/answering. The OOo uninstall procedure once again attempted to open a web page which I assume is for comments by a departing user, but failed. Hope that the OOo wrinkles for W7 can be ironed out. In its earlier form I found it very useful.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Libreoffice is based on the original OOo code with some added features. Files from both packages are interchangeable.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Goremol

Post by Goremol »

This is an old thread. And I didn't read through all of the posts. But by checking Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (SP3) on the installer (setup.exe) properties page, you should be able to get passed the annoying hang when VC++ x86 Redistr tries running.
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7 Ultimate SP1