ASCII filter options and hashes

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
favitall

ASCII filter options and hashes

Post by favitall »

I think this is the only place I can get proper help.
My girlfriend have written this document in OO which she saved normally as she always does.
However when we try to open it now I get the "ASCII filter options" and when i simply press ok the whole page is filled with "#".
I read through this thread to find any help but since it's only "#" I can't see if it's any other type of file.

Appreciate all answers I can get !
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows7
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: ASCII filter options

Post by thomasjk »

Unfortunately if all you see is ### the document is corrupt beyond help. Search for a filename.bak in the user profile http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 74&t=12426. The other is options is to right click on the file select Properties and select the Previous Versions tab if she has Win 7.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Hagar Delest

Re: ASCII filter options and hashes

Post by Hagar Delest »

Sadly, nothing to do, it may be the same as that one: 22 page term paper replaced with pound signs.

Check the temporary folder of the system (see in OOo Tools>Options>OOo>Paths). If there are folders like sgmlf.tmp with a file having the same name inside, make a copy of that file, rename it in .odt and cross your fingers.

Else, nothing to do I fear.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
favitall

Post by favitall »

Hmm sad to hear ;( but will however try to do these things you guys told me.
And Hager Delest how long will i be able to find these temporary files? Because I wont be able to get access to her computer today but probably tomorrow or atleast in 2 days.

Also do anyone of you know WHY this happens?
This is the second file that becomes like this after she saved it.

Thx for fast replies
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

No one is very sure why this happens; I suspect it is to do with closing down a computer too quickly (close the file, then snap off the power button). Because of the complex nature of the OpenOffice files they take a little longer to write and be flushed from the disk buffers than normal files. Another possible cause is working direct to USB keys and just whipping them out of the slot without going through the correct eject procedure. I use several OpenOffice files every day and (touch wood!) have never had a file failure.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I use OOo 8 hrs a day with several files open at the same time and never had this neither (touch wood too!).
This is definitively a regression because such reports started poping up a short while after 3.x has been released. But as you may have noticed, devs don't really want to tackle this one. I guess that there are implications with the save process. There are some reports where there are indeed several files having this problem, not always after a power failure. I think that there are corner cases on some systems that lead to such problem. Very difficult to spot them however. Perhaps a security application that delays too much the saving process, or a cache management.

Note that if you want to access the temporary files, the machine must not have been restarted since and then, try a live-CD first to avoid the temporary folders to be cleaned at startup. Else, still have a look, who knows.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10