[Solved] Can't open UserGuide PDF

Not sure where to post? Post here!
MilesChap

[Solved] Can't open UserGuide PDF

Post by MilesChap »

Downloaded a user guide PDF and when I attempt to open it with PDF-X-Change Viewer (default) it reads "the format of the source is not PDF." How does one download an open youir user guides?

The following is one of two I downloaded and it couldn't be opened with PDF-X-Change Viewer:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... e_Chapters
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 3.3 on Win7 Pro 64 bit
Hagar Delest

Re: Can't open UserGuide PDF

Post by Hagar Delest »

No problem with that one for example: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/i ... ingOOo.pdf
Using Evince on Ubuntu 11.10.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The link provided is a Web page (.htm), not a PDF file. The page has links to the PDF files. Did you download using one of the links on the page?
MilesChap

Post by MilesChap »

Now can't get back to that page, evidently some of the pages are down. Therefore I can't try again. Even trying to download the pdf mentioned by Hagar, but but it won't even start the download after 5 minutes. As I recall (can't get back to the site) it didn't that it was html and would open a website. At the top it read that these are .pdf's. Evidently I right clicked to download which it did and it downloaded a pdf reading: 0203wg3 Working With Text.pdf. No mention of it being an html!
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The link for "Working With Text" is on the page opened by the link you provided. I downloaded that PDF file and opened it with Foxit Reader with no problem.

Working With Text
MilesChap

Post by MilesChap »

I can't get back to that link -- page this afternoon -- the site won't open. Could you please provide the page link so I can test using a different one.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I provided the link to the PDF file "Working With Text" in my last post. Both that link and the link provided by Hagar open for me in Foxit Reader in less than 5 seconds after clicking the link. The link provided in the first post opens the web page, also in less than 5 seconds.
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

MilesChap wrote:I can't get back to that link -- page this afternoon -- the site won't open. Could you please provide the page link so I can test using a different one.
Do you get an error message? Check to see whether you have any cookies for that site and delete them. Don't prevent the site from installing new cookies.

I never open files automatically. If I click on the link provided, I get a dialogue giving me the option of opening or saving the file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
MilesChap

Post by MilesChap »

Today it works fine. Using Thunderbird in Win7 need to right click and choose Save Link As or can read it on line (which wasn't available yesterday). It appears that there is great documentation with this program -- far superior to most other programs and if decision is reached to continue it's use, guess I'll buy the book in order to annotate and mark needed pages.
orcmid
Volunteer

Post by orcmid »

MilesChap wrote:Today it works fine. Using Thunderbird in Win7 need to right click and choose Save Link As or can read it on line (which wasn't available yesterday). It appears that there is great documentation with this program -- far superior to most other programs and if decision is reached to continue it's use, guess I'll buy the book in order to annotate and mark needed pages.
Here's a thought. You can find the ODT (ODF Format) editable versions of the Guide on this page: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wik ... apters_ODT

You could turn on tracked changes and also insert comments and markup up where you see needed fixes or added explanation back to the ODF Authors who produced all of these books. I think they'd like that a lot.

There are probably other ways you could do a mash-up for your use, but the preceding was my first thought.
Libre Office 7.0.4 and Microsoft 365 on Windows 10