Creating a Mailing List Data Base in LibreOffice

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
Carver22

Creating a Mailing List Data Base in LibreOffice

Post by Carver22 »

I am an early version WordPerfect user trying to create and print mailing labels using LibreOffice. I have a WordPerfect-created address list that I apparently must convert into a Data Base before I can use it in LibreOffice. The instructions in LibreOffice Help say that to Create a Data Base Choose > File New> Data base. When I do that the window allows me to select an existing Data Base, but I do not see how to Create a Data Base. (Obviously I have no experience with Data Bases and need all the help I can get.)
Carver22
Open Office Version 3.4.4
Windows 7 64-bit
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Creating a Mailing List Data Base in LibreOffice

Post by thomasjk »

What format is your Wordperfect list in? See this excellent article for some help http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/art ... office_org.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Carver22

Post by Carver22 »

Tom K,

Thank you for replying and for including that article. Briefly browsing through that article suggests that the process is more complex than I hoped for so it will take me a while to absorb it, but I will try to do that.

I am a two-finger, peck typist looking for the easiest way to convert my mailing list to mailing labels. I was hoping to find something like WordPefect where I select an Avery Label number and the appropriate "template" for that size labels appears. The task was then to simply type (or copy & paste) the name and complete address in each label. I am still hoping to find something like that.

My WordPerfect address list iis in two formats. The first is simply a two page flat list with the names and full address of each recipent on a single line.
The second format is each individual's name and address is in a "cell" that represents that respresents in individual label in a pages of Avery 8160 mailing labels. In WordPerfect I would just select Format > Labels > Avery 8160, then copy and paste this list into the 8160 pages, then print.

I would gladly retype my address list in a label format if there was a way to then print it in LibreOffice, but that does not seem to be possible.
Carver22
Windows 7 64-bit
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Use File--->New Labels as a starting point. LO has Avery templates built in. You need the input file to be a spreadsheet, database or csv (text file). Can you attach a sample of your current list here? See http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =74&t=8289 for instructions. You first format will probably work as an input file if you can save as a csv(comma separated value) file.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Carver22

Post by Carver22 »

Tom K,

Thank you for those instructions on attaching a file.

The attachment is a file of addresses that I would copy and paste into an Avery Template in WordPerfect. (Actually, when I saved this file last year it looked like an Avery file ready to print, with the addresses spaced in three columns across each page. However it saved, as shown in the attachment, one column of addresses down the center of each page. I do not understand that but I will re-type the list in any format you recommend.)

I do not know how to save the list in cvs format. That is does not appear to be of the options under "Save As."
Addresses for Christmas List.odt
(19.01 KiB) Downloaded 706 times
Carver22
Windows 7 64-bit
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Carver22 said
My WordPerfect address list iist in two formats. The first is simply a two page flat list with the names and full address of each recipient on a single line.
This format is ideal for importing into a spreadsheet which can then be the source document for your data base. If you just want to type them all in manually see this blog http://openoffice.blogs.com/openoffice/labels/ the June 25, 2007 entry. Just scroll down the page to find the details. If you want to send me the the file in the format described above click on my user name then click the email link and attach the file. I'll set up in a spreadsheet for you.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Carver22

Post by Carver22 »

Tom,

That article looks great and so does your generous offer. I would like to take advantage of both of them. If you convert my address list to a data base I can go ahead and learn how to use that data base to make the labels that I need, and maybe learn something about doing that in the process. The information in the Blog that you sent on adding labels manually should allow me to make additions and corrections as I need them. So it should be very helpful.

I appreciate your offer to convert my address list to a data base and attempted to send the list to you as an email attachment. But I could not see how to attach files to the forum's email form. I only see a Subject window and a Body window. How can I attach the list?
Carver22
Windows 7 64-bit
Carver22

Post by Carver22 »

The spread sheet that Tom K. so kindly prepared for me is now converted to a dBase file. I am now trying to print mailing labels using that dBase file. When I get to the point of adding Databae Fields to the "Label Text" box in the Labels window, each time I add a new database field, the peviously added database field disappears.(Please see the attachment.)

A second concern is that instructions say that I should "insert desired punctuation, space and line breaks until the label is composed" yet I do not see any of these items added in the example provided in the instructions. Do I need to do anything more than add the Database Fields?
 Edit:  
Screenshot - Adding Data Base Fields.jpg
Carver22
Windows 7 64-bit
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

The previous field just disappears from view. Click in the line with the zip code then use the arrow keys to scroll left and you will see the others. Or drag the scroll button at the bottom of that window. You can edit spacing and add a carriage return at the end of a line to start a new line.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Carver22

Post by Carver22 »

Tom K.

Thank you for yet more good advice. I appreciate it.
Carver22
Windows 7 64-bit
Carver22

Post by Carver22 »

The address labels are almost ready to print however they are not aligned properly even though they appear to be aligned correctly . Initially the entries were aligned left but they appeared on the left edge of each label cell, and did not look good. When they were "Center" aligned they looked good (see attachment) but they did not print the way they looked. The first row printed properly. However, the text in each cell was centered. However, the text for the second row of labels printed half in the second row and half in the third row. The rest of the rows also printed in the wrong location even though the attached page (and Print Preview) did not suggest that they would.
Screenshot -  Labels aligned.jpg
Screenshot - Labels aligned.jpg (12.95 KiB) Viewed 23000 times
Carver22
Windows 7 64-bit
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Perhaps the font size is too large. If you saved this as a template re-open it and adjust the first label position fonts. then click synchronize. Then do File-->Print and say yes to the form letter prompt. Then choose Print to File which will give you a Writer document that you can peruse before actually printing on labels.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Carver22

Post by Carver22 »

Tom K.,

The font size does appear to be the problem. It is set at 12. When I changed it to 10 the page appeared to be set up okay, at least it looked good when it was printed to File. Now the issue is that the Font Size will not stay set at 12. I set it at 10 but it stays on12. Is there some special way of changing the Font Size so it stays set?

Thanks for suggesting printing to file. I have never done that.
Carver22
Windows 7 64-bit
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Create the merge document with the font size and any other formatting and then save it as a template. (.ott) Then click File-->Templates-->Organize-->My Templates. Click the Commands Button and select Import Template and browse to your newly created merge template and click Open. Now you use it any time just by going to File-->Templates-->Organize--->My Templates.
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Carver22

Post by Carver22 »

Tom K.,

Thank you for this additional idea. I will try it as soon as I can. However, I am still not able to change the font size. No matter how much I click on a different font size, it stays on 12.

Screenshot - Trying to change labels Font Size.jpg
Screenshot - Trying to change labels Font Size.jpg (11.11 KiB) Viewed 22978 times

Several times when I was trying to save one of the files last night, OpenOffice hung up. The error message said there was a "Runtime Error"I wondered whether there was a problem within OppenOffice that might be the reason that I cannot change the Font Size. Could it be that my copy of OpenOffice is contaiminated and I need to uninstall and reinstall it, or would these two things seem unrelated?
Screenshot OpenOffice Runtime Error.jpg
Screenshot OpenOffice Runtime Error.jpg (7.36 KiB) Viewed 22978 times
Carver22
Windows 7 64-bit
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Can you attach the file you are using?
Tom K.
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Carver22

Post by Carver22 »

Tom K.,

When I tried to attach the file the message "The extension dbf is not allowed" appeared. So obviously I went astray somewhere. Yet, when trying to print labels, that is the only file that appears in the "Field" box after I select a database in the Labels window.
Carver22
Windows 7 64-bit
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

What kind of file are you trying to upload? Zip it as a workaround. Else, try mediafire.com.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Carver22

Post by Carver22 »

Hagar,

Thank you for your suggestion. I do not need to upload that file now, but I will save yur idea of using a Zip file in case I need to do that in the future.

Tom K.,

I went back to the spreadsheet you made for me and started from scratch. I still was not able to change the font size, but it went smoothly and my mail labels are ready to print.
Thank you very much for bending over backwards to get me through this. You are a really patient person as well as a helpful "Techie." I appreciate all that you did.
Carver22
Windows 7 64-bit