[Solved] What or who now for website administration?

The place for discussions and decisions about the forum
kingfisher
Volunteer

[Solved] What or who now for website administration?

Post by kingfisher »

My apologies if it seems too soon to raise this topic. Since it relates to infrastructure, it seems to belong here.

I have been following the ooo=dev list for some weeks. I have seen some doubt raised there about the capacity of the Apache Software Foundation to administer the site for the forums.

Should some approach be made now to the infrastructure list?

Should the forum members be canvassed for volunteers to undertake the work?

What do we have to do?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
Hagar Delest

Re: What or who now for website administration?

Post by Hagar Delest »

I've moved the topic to the public section because ASF is rather touchy about the use of the private section.

Personally, I rely on Drew now for that matter. This kind of issue may have come with any scenario so I don't really care. Seeing how the infra team has dealt with Terry, I'm not sure they are really eager to make the forums a success.

NB: I've not spotted that issue on ML. I'm subscribed but I don't check all the topics however.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hagar Delest wrote:Personally, I rely on Drew now for that matter.
Well, thinking about it twice, perhaps it's not enough. We used to have a safe situation with both Terry and Drew able to do the job. Only one person in charge is not enough I think. If Drew has other priorities for example, then what.

So is there anybody feeling able to do the job? I mean the real one with command lines, access to the server and so on?
Personally, I know nothing about that (I do mechanics for a living and my most advanced skills about computers is installing a GNU/Linux distro).

Else, we'll have to rely on the ASF infra team and that's all.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
orcmid
Volunteer

Post by orcmid »

I believe that TerryE took T. J. Frazier under his wing and T. J. was recently made a committer, so he also has the karma needed to work with ASF infrastructure. Dave Fisher also does some of that, but he may be more plugged in on the wiki side of things. TerryE is a better resource for who his understudies were for which services.

I am assuming that Drew is also still on the job.

If there are others here who have the chops for site-level administration, it would be good to know that also.

I am assuming that there are no immediate issues. If there are, bring them to ooo-dev or at least post something on ooo-dev so that your friends over there know to come over here for a huddle.

Are you assuming that TerryE is unavailable or simply that he is simply keeping a low profile. I saw some contributions from him on the Infrastructure list just this week, I think. He has apparently removed himself from the PPMC mailing list. I haven't had any direct communication with him. I need to do that.
Libre Office 7.0.4 and Microsoft 365 on Windows 10
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux