[Solved] Calc grid is blank, no values displayed

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Marin Tom

[Solved] Calc grid is blank, no values displayed

Post by Marin Tom »

Have been successfully using OO 3.3 with OS 10.5 until I upgraded Mac to OS 10.6.8. Data in existing Calc files is still in cells and seen in top bar but doesn't display in grid. Grid is blank.

Mac is up to date with OS 10.6.8 and I reinstalled OO 3.3 but no change. A new Calc S/H input i.e. =2+2 appears in the top bar but cell remains blank.

Tom
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 3.3 on Mac OS 10.6.8
Hagar Delest

Re: OS 10.6 Upgrade Problem

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Try to reset your OOo user profile but don't transfer your personal data during the welcome process (if you had 2.x before), configuration files from the former version might corrupt the new profile.

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There have been problems reported in Macs with non-display of characters, cured by clearing the font cache in the Mac
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 17&t=28312
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Marin Tom

Re: OS 10.6 Upgrade Problem - Calc

Post by Marin Tom »

I was not able to fix anything and note that even the OO Help system isn't working - the topics show on the left column but clicking on a topic produces only a red check mark in the right screen where the answer is usually posted. That's the status of my daily User Account, my normally unused [empty] User Account is working fine. I downloaded OO 3.3 to that User Account and everything works well. I 'stole' the OO Preference Folder: User / 3 / from the working User account and put it into the non-working User account but no improvement.
As you see, I know little about how these applications work internally but suspect that some path has a broken link but haven't a clue as to where to look.
I can open an old Calc s/h but its data is not displayed in the grid but the data does appear in the top bar when a cell is clicked. No calculations are performed.
Thank you for your patience and suggestions.
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

November 2, 2011

Try NeoOffice and see what happens.

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2
Marin Tom

Post by Marin Tom »

More on my problem, but first thanks for your suggestions about font corruption. All the Mac Font Caches have been cleaned out, none exist now. No change but I agree it's a font problem, or related.
I can display my data if the Mac is started in Safe Mode, or by copying the data files to a second User Account and opening them there with OO. I've also checked and corrected file permissions and eliminated duplicate font files. I'd like to remove three dictionary OO Extensions but there's no 'Delete' command, only an 'Add' command.
Baffled.
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Marin Tom wrote:More on my problem, but first thanks for your suggestions about font corruption. All the Mac Font Caches have been cleaned out, none exist now. No change but I agree it's a font problem, or related.
I can display my data if the Mac is started in Safe Mode, or by copying the data files to a second User Account and opening them there with OO. I've also checked and corrected file permissions and eliminated duplicate font files. I'd like to remove three dictionary OO Extensions but there's no 'Delete' command, only an 'Add' command.
Baffled.
Try deleting your user profile again. No need to copy it from your other account. A new one is created when you start OOo again.
Also try deleting the plist files "/users/<user name>/Library/Preferences/" – org.openoffice.script.plist & org.openoffice.script.LSSharedFileList.plist

The three dictionaries are including with OOo and can't be deleted with the Extension Manager like normal extensions.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Thursday, November 03, 2011

The administrator dictionaries can be removed using a file manager running as administrator to remove them. I personally use mucommander.

Another option is to try running the following commands in a text box:

cd /Applications/OpenOffice.org.app/Contents/MacOS/
sudo ./unopkg.bin remove --shared --verbose dict-en.oxt
sudo ./unopkg.bin remove --shared --verbose dict-es.oxt
sudo ./unopkg.bin remove --shared --verbose dict-fr.oxt

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Another way to remove the dictionaries on a Mac.

In Applications folder right click on "OpenOffice.org.app"
In the pop up menu click on "Show Package Contents"
Navigate to "Contents/share/extensions"
The dictionaries are in that folder and you can delete the ones you don't want.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
Marin Tom

Post by Marin Tom »

Thank you lgusaas for the instructions to get rid of OO the extensions, last item of the Contents list - dictionaries now gone.

Tonight I trashed org.openoffice.script.LSSharedFileList.plist but could not find "/users/<user name>/Library/Preferences/" – org.openoffice.script.plist in the Library's Preferences. Even used an Easy Find search for .plist but didn't find it in that list.
I also trashed the Application Support/ OpenOffice/ User / 3/ folder and the OO application itself.

A new OO download was installed and a new Calc spreadsheet was opened - sadly, the same result - nothing shown in the grid, only in the formula box at the top; i.e. =2+2 displayed there but grid is blank. Likewise the OO Help system displays the topics on the left pane but no answers are displayed on the right pane.

Everything works fine in Safe Mode and on my other User Account but not on the daily duty Account.

Sorry to be so lame about this but that's my situation.

Tom
Marin Tom

Post by Marin Tom »

"The Problem" is in my main User Account so I can't just dump the Account and start anew, but my workaround, though not ideal, was to create an additional User account for particular OO jobs. Perhaps someday the original problem will be resolved inadvertently, just as it was created. Thanks to those of you who replied. Tom
Marin Tom

Post by Marin Tom »

SOLVED: The cause of the problem was old fonts in User/Library/Fonts. These were old 'Suitcases' of several fonts [regular, italic, bold etc] in a 'Suitcase] called Arial or New Times Roman etc.

I deleted all these old fonts, -- the User/Library/Fonts folder is empty - - and OO works perfectly again!

Thanks for the suggestions, they encouraged me to keep at it until I found an fine description of the MAC's font mechanics by Kurt Lang of http://www.jklstudios.com

Marin Tom
lalalayna

Re: [Solved] OS 10.6 Upgrade Problem

Post by lalalayna »

Thanks worked for me too!
Open Office 4.1.6 MacOS 10.14