How to unlock odt files

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
thailen

How to unlock odt files

Post by thailen »

How to I unlock them?

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply (Hagar, Moderator).
OprnOffice.org3.2
RoryOF

Re: odt files

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice should open them automatically. if they are password protected and you don't have the password, forget it. If OpenOffice prompts you for ASCII filter selection almost certainly your file is corrupt and needs to be redownloaded.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: How to unlock odt files

Post by Villeroy »

And if they are "locked" on file system level you have to unlock them like any other locked file on file system level.
And if it is online content you've got to download the file (no, not just clicking).
And if it is a mail attachment you've got to detach the file (no, not just clicking).
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
thailen

Post by thailen »

I created the original OpenOffice document and when I went to retrieve it, it was locked...
OprnOffice.org3.2
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In what way locked? Locked for editing (shown as read-only in title bar)? Locked as unable to open it? Or opening and ##### shown?
thailen

Post by thailen »

It'
s in my documents folder. File name: .~lock.Manila Hotels.odt#
OprnOffice.org3.2
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

".~lock.Manila Hotels.odt#" is not your document. This lock file is created while you edit "Manila Hotels.odt". It prevents other programs to edit the same file at the same time.
Please be more clear in your problem description next time.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

thailen wrote:It'
s in my documents folder. File name: .~lock.Manila Hotels.odt#
This is a "lock" file; it is housekeeping to prevent a second instance of OpenOffice trying to edit the file. If OpenOffice is closed, this file should be erased automatically. If it is not, then your OpenOffice terminated abnormally (crashed). This, and all other lock files, can safely be deleted when OpenOffice is closed. However, to ensure that you do not delete the main files, check that these lock files have a size of about 80 bytes before you delete them. Then look for your file, which is called Manila Hotels.odt, and open it.