[Solved] Can I use OOo instead of MS Office 2010?

Not sure where to post? Post here!
mnshepherd

[Solved] Can I use OOo instead of MS Office 2010?

Post by mnshepherd »

I need to know if Open Office has everything that Office Professional Academic 2010 does. I need it for my MGMT class but do not have the $100 for the software.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
misty shepherd OpenOffice version 3.3
acknak

Re: Can I use OOo instead of MS Office 2010?

Post by acknak »

[Moved to start new topic; this is a different question]

It's hard to make a prediction. OOo and MS Office are very similar but not identical. If your course requires some specific feature of MS Office that is not supported in OOo, or that works differently, you can run into trouble.

It's always best to get some assurance that using some other software is acceptable. Otherwise, your work can be rejected outright.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Remember that OOo cannot save in .docx, .xlsx, .pptx. So if you're required to give something in that format (even if OOXML should be avoided), you'll have problems.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Nikos

Post by Nikos »

Remember that OOo cannot save in .docx, .xlsx, .pptx.
Without wanting to flame, keep also in mind, that libreoffice can save in the aforementioned formats.
LibreOffice 4.0.5 on OpenSuse 12.3/64bit/KDE4.10 (Version from the TDF page) + LibreOffice 4.1.1 on Debian Wheezy/64bit/KDE4.8 + LibreOffice 4.1.1 on Win7/64bit
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Straight forward text documents will transfer from Writer to Word and vice versa with minor problems (e.g., difficulties with headers/footers). When documents become more complex, with frames, tables, illustrations, transfer becomes much more unreliable and frequently unfixable. Best advice is that if your institution requires MS Office format submissions, you should inquire if they have an MS Office offer for pupils and take that up. Your current purpose in life should be to do your courses and assigned tasks, not spend valuable time trying to sort out transfer problems between one software and another.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

You may also find somebody who overcomes the copy protection of MSOffice 2010. Thanks to OOo they removed their strict protection system ("Genuine Advantage") from their latest office version.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/microsof ... ogram/2798
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice