[Solved] How to disable edit mode

Discuss the database features
jenny143

[Solved] How to disable edit mode

Post by jenny143 »

how to disabled edit?

since i use standalone forms
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 83&t=40493

all i want is that no editing for design forms??
like forms in base
Last edited by jenny143 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Windows XP and Open Office 3.3
probe1
Volunteer

Re: How to disable edit mode

Post by probe1 »

With OOo 3.2.1 I have an option "Always open in read-only mode" (Tools>Options...>OpenOffice.org>Security tab), which does the trick
Cheers
Winfried

DateTime2 extension: insert date, time or timestamp, formatted to your needs
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

probe1 wrote:With OOo 3.2.1 I have an option "Always open in read-only mode" (Tools>Options...>OpenOffice.org>Security tab), which does the trick
This option is hidden in the save-as dialog. When I check "save with password". Then I'm prompted for a password to open the file and/or another password to make the document read-only.

Revoking the edit permission on file system level it is easier while having the same effect, under Linux at least where file system permissions are a matter of course.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
jenny143

Post by jenny143 »

so that's for the setting of the server?

where is it

permission then??

it is possible to do that for Microsoft server (Temporarily?) ??
mary jhane

Post by mary jhane »

i have no "save with password" in my open office 3.3 where is that option
Attachments
wewwow.JPG
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows XP
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

mary jhane wrote:i have no "save with password" in my open office 3.3 where is that option
/ File / Save As has a password checkbox.
 Edit: My advice is that, unless essential, you should stay away from passwords in OpenOffice. They are effectively unbreakable, so if you forget or muff your password the file is lost. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
mary jhane

Post by mary jhane »

No save password in file-save as
only check box automatic file name extension
zz i cant find it, :oops:

there is other recovery password if i forgot it sir??
Attachments
NoSavewithpassword.JPG
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You may need to set
/ Tools / Options / OpenOffice.org / General : Use OpenOffice.org Dialogue boxes. Then restart OpenOffice including Quickstarter (easiest way is to restart your computer completely).

In OpenOffice, if you forget your password there is effectively no recovery. This is the purpose of a password, to prevent unauthorised access to a file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

I just checked but you can't password protect a database file, not with the standard dialog boxes and not with OOo's dialog boxes.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

floris v wrote:I just checked but you can't password protect a database file, not with the standard dialog boxes and not with OOo's dialog boxes.
It's about a stand alone form document
jenny143 wrote:since i use standalone forms
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=40493
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

:oops: My bad.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
jenny143

Post by jenny143 »

there's no other way to set document to read only mode??
DACM
Volunteer

Post by DACM »

I may be missing something here...but I thought we covered this in the referenced tutorial. These steps are accomplished upon saving the Form within Writer only. The options don't exist during the export process from Base, nor among the global settings.
[Tutorial] Standalone Forms / Switchboard wrote:(O) And finally, File > Save As... > Save with password (checkbox) > Save (button, opens the Set Password dialog box, but skip to...) > More Options... (button) > Open file read-only (checkbox).
  • Note: Do not specify a password to open, but after clicking More Options... you'll see the option to Enter password to allow editing which can be useful (if you as the developer don't forget the password!).
    Note: To regain the ability to edit the Writer-Form document after saving "read-only" simply Save As... another copy without selecting the "read-only" attribute.
I understand the confusion because the tutorial presumes the creation of an associated switchboard Form, which presumes the Forms will be opened with a Push Button, which offers to open the 'URL' read-only. Thus, step (8) does not password-protect the individual Forms because it doesn't seem necessary when opened "read-only" by the switchboard buttons. So the only step (O) that suggests password-protection applies to the switchboard Form alone. However, that step can be applied to the individual Forms, as needed.
[Tutorial] Standalone Forms / Switchboard wrote:(8 ) When you're satisfied with each standalone Writer Form, click File > Save
  • Note: there's no need to save each Form "read-only" when using a Push Button to open the Form due to the associated "read-only" option of the URL. However, this option still allows the user to enter 'Design Mode' using the appropriate toolbar, so it may be best to save a more permanent "read-only" version. File > Save As... > Save with password (checkbox) > More Options... (button) > Open file read-only (checkbox). Do not specify a password. To regain the ability to edit the Writer-Form document after saving "read-only" simply Save As... another copy without the "read-only" attribute.
And while it's not clear in the context (even as I read it at now), I think we can presume that a password-protected, read-only attribute effectively foils the ability to 'save as' another copy for editing. So don't forget the password if you want to edit the Form!
AOO 4.1.x; LO 4.2.x; Windows 7/8 64-bit
Warning: Avoid embedded databases --> Solution: Adopt a portable 'split database' folder
Soli Deo gloria
mary jhane

Post by mary jhane »

where is More Options...???
DACM
Volunteer

Post by DACM »

Do you have the Form open in Writer?
DACM wrote:These steps are accomplished upon saving the Form within Writer only. The options don't exist during the export process from Base, nor among the global settings.
[Tutorial] Standalone Forms / Switchboard wrote:(O) And finally, File
> Save As...
> Save with password
(checkbox)
> Save
(button, opens the Set Password dialog box, but skip to...)
> More Options... (button)
> Open file read-only (checkbox).
  • Note: Do not specify a password to open, but after clicking More Options... you'll see the option to Enter password to allow editing which can be useful (if you as the developer don't forget the password!).
    Note: To regain the ability to edit the Writer-Form document after saving "read-only" simply Save As... another copy without selecting the "read-only" attribute.
File > Save As... > Save with password (checkbox) > Save (button)
File > Save As... > Save with password (checkbox) > Save (button)
(opens the Set Password dialog box , but skip to...) > More Options... (button)
(opens the Set Password dialog box , but skip to...) > More Options... (button)
SaveAs_with_password_More_Options.jpg (22.76 KiB) Viewed 22244 times
> Open file read-only (checkbox)
> Open file read-only (checkbox)
AOO 4.1.x; LO 4.2.x; Windows 7/8 64-bit
Warning: Avoid embedded databases --> Solution: Adopt a portable 'split database' folder
Soli Deo gloria
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Or right-click the file in the Win Explorer, choose "Properties" and check the read-only flag.
mary jhane

Post by mary jhane »

nice... :D
Thank you
More Powers
jenny143

Post by jenny143 »

Thanks DACM and VILLEROY