[Solved] Install Error 1326: Error getting file security

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
John_Ha
Volunteer

[Solved] Install Error 1326: Error getting file security

Post by John_Ha »

I am trying to re-install 3.3.0 but it keeps on failing. I am using the eng-GB version.

I used the installer to remove OOo and then re-ran it to install it again. The installation proceeds OK, but I get an error window which says

Error 1326: Error getting file security:
C:\Windows\fonts\GenBasB.ttf GetLastError: 5

The install then pauses until I click OK in the error window. When I click OK, OOo stops installing and rolls back the installation.

I have all the GenBas font files in C:\Windows\Fonts and they work OK with other applications. Just to be sure, I deleted all four font files (regular, bold, italic and bold italic) and re-installed it from my backup of the fonts folder, but it made no difference. I set the install file to "Run as administrator for all users" just in case it was a permissions problem - again no difference.

As a result of another problem (http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =6&t=44286) it was suggested I installed both 32 and 64 bit version of the Java RTE and I have done so - I now have Java 6 Update 22, Java 6 Update 27, Java 7 and Java 7 (64 bit) installed. I am wondering if this could be part of the problem as I have installed, re-installed and updated OOo many times before without any problems.

I have been sucessfully using OOo for many years - this one is a mystery to me - I cannot install it!
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Re: Install fails with Error 1326: Error getting file securi

Post by RoryOF »

A very quick search suggests this is an operating system error either due to an unknown user name on Windows, or an incorrect password. For those who are not aware of the fact, I repeat the rule: Passwords are case sensitive and ought contain only the standard ASCII 96 chars (due to historical hangover?). The problem sometimes occurs if the Guest account has been disabled or even more limited than normal. It may be cured if you log on as Administrator and before running the install file right click on it and select "Run as Administrator" (two Administrator" selections).

Re the Java: OpenOffice is 32 bit (at present) and requires 32 bit Java to be selected in OpenOffice / Tools / Options; as I recollect, it is reported not to run with Java 7; it should certainly run with Java 6/22; I'm not sure about Java 6/27 (32 bit in all cases).
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Rory

Thanks. I did as you suggested and I got the same error, but with the LiberationSansNarrow-Bold questioned.

I don't use a password for my account - it's a home PC - and I had disabled Guest. I therefore did the following:
1 Switch on Guest - no password
2 Created a TestAdmin account - no password
3 logged on as TestAdmin
4 Control Panel > User Accounts > Change User Account Settings > Never Notify (this switches off ALL W7 security controls!)
5 Set ...eng_GB to "Run as administrator for all users" and ran the install

It still fails, but now because of the LiberationSansNarrow-Bold font. This may be bacause in the meantime I have uninstalled and re-installed the GentiumBasic font previously causing the problem and that font is now working OK.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I'd try installing the Liberation font, as you did for the Gentium, and see what happens then. My Windows machines are Windows 2000, so I can't speak for Windows 7; Googling suggests the problem is one of access rights on the operating system. A previous posting (unanswered) in 2009 reported the same error number and also pointed to a font problem. At the back of my mind is something about an account sometimes needing to be that of Administrator, not another login with Adminstrator rights, but I'm not certain about this.

http://www.appdeploy.com/msierrors/detail.asp?id=89 says
Windows Installer Error 1326
Error getting file security: [3] GetLastError: [2]

This is most often seen as a result of insufficient permissions to perform an installation.

If you cannot see the path to the file in question, turn on Windows Installer logging and repeat the operation to generate a detailed log file (written to %temp%). When you have identified the path of the file in the error (3) ensure that is the location of the file on your system. If you find it in a different location, copy the file to the location where Windows Installer is attempting to locate it.

Verify that the account you are using to perform the installation as well as the SYSTEM account have at least "change" access to the location.
I hope this helps.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Rory

Many thanks - success at last! I uninstalled and re-installed the Liberation font, and OOo installed sucessfully.

Unfortunately :-( it immediately gave me the Error Report dialogue reported in http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... =6&t=44286

Still, I will just have to live with that - at least I can now use OOo.

... and I have remembered to switch the W7 security back on!

In summary, for anyone else getting the problem, it looks like it was a problem with the font files. You have to be very, very careful doing anything to the fonts in W7 as you need to be sure the registry keys are correct. As an aside, I once asked a Microsoft Windows 7 forum, staffed by MS people, how to delete and re-install my fonts folder, and they could not tell me, apart from a complete OS re-install.
To delete a font - go to C:\Windows\fonts, find the font, r-click and choose delete
To install a font - drag a copy from your backup into the fonts folder. This way, the registry gets updated properly.
If you still have problems, it could be because there are duplicate copies of the font files and you cannot see the duplicates in the Windows Explorer C:\Windows\fonts window. To see them, start an admin rights CMD window (Start > cmd and press Ctrl/shift/Enter. Navigate to C:\Windows\fonts and delete any duplicate or remaining font files (eg fred_0.ttf, fred_1.ttf etc. If they cannot be deleted, renaming them to fredzzz.ttf usually allows them to be deleted. Note that I THINK that if you have fred.ttf installed, and you install an application which installs a newer version of fred, the newer version is called fred_1.ttf etc.
I use AMP Font VIewer to manage my fonts, but it did not delete all the duplicate copies - I had to go to the CMD prompt to do so.
Last edited by John_Ha on Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I've looked back at your previous post to refresh my memory. Searching for error ‘0xc0000005: Access Violation’ suggests a prime candidate is faulty memory. My experience is that 'faulty memory' may be non catastrophic, caused often by improperly seated memory chips. If you are happy to do so, I suggest you unplug your computer, remove the memory chips, blow out the memory sockets and the contacts on the memory modules and reinsert them, ensuring that the dogs engage the memory chips correctly on both ends. Also, before you do that, look to see if internal cables are impeding air flow over the CPU fan or the memory chips. The problem may be caused by local overheating, which cable rearrangement (and a blow out of the CPU heat sink) may help. It may also be helpful to go into the BIOS settings and select a more conservative setting for memory access (if available). I recently had experience of an old Dell (2003) which became intermittently unstable. It was condemned and replaced; I later examined the Dell in detail and found that by replacing the memory with faster memory chips (from my scrap box) it ran reliably - using it now! I have not yet had time to try the old memory - my suspicion is that it will run correctly in some other machine.
lturn9

Re: [Solved] Install Error 1326: Error getting file security

Post by lturn9 »

WHAT PASSWORDS ARE you referring to? I only use the standard fonts that came with W7 - I only use Calibri, Comic Sans & Arial. I have a win password (only because it would not allow me not to have one) but then I go straight to my browser (w/o PW) and then to OpenOffice. If you are suggesting the W7 password fond is the problem I have no idea how it is changed. The only time I change fonts is in Word, Thunderbird (email) but that's about all. how do I change the font for the log on PW?
openoffice 3.1 win7