[Solved] LibreOffice crashes on Preferences (options)

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
mservin

[Solved] LibreOffice crashes on Preferences (options)

Post by mservin »

Got the solution on https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=37913
Bug 37913 - LibreOffice crashes frequently when settings-dialog is opened

Suggestion was: System Preferences > Universal Access > uncheck Enable access for assistance devices

I don't know why or when that system pref was enabled, but now LibreOffice does not crash on preferences anymore. :)
Hello,
I'm trying to run LibreOffice 3.4.3 OOO340m1 (Build:302) on Mac OSX 10.6.8. When I open File>Preferences... any text I enter results in spinning beachball, and I have to force quit, every time. Can't even get past User Data before it freezes.
I've tried renaming and recreating the user profile in home>application support, even tried uninstalling and installing 3.3.4, but get same result. Uninstalled and reinstalled but same thing always happens.
System profile shows Java VisualVM: Version: 13.5.0. I'm running NeoOffice 3.2.1 with no similar problems...
hope there is a solution out here! thanks
Last edited by mservin on Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice 3.4.3, Mac OS X 10.6.8
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: LibreOffice crashes on Preferences (options)

Post by Villeroy »

Try to reset your user profile. Close the office completely (mind any quick-starter), rename a certain folder and start again.
[Tutorial] The OOo user profile
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
mservin

Post by mservin »

Thanks, but I did just that: exited the program, renamed the folder to user.old, restarted and a new user folder was created... but the same thing happens. The new User Data in preferences is empty, too.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The new User Data in preferences is empty, too.
Did you have some version of OOo installed before? If yes, what happens when you delete the new LibO folder and rename the OOo profile? I speculate that LibreOffice imports something inappropriate from an old OOo installation.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
mservin

Post by mservin »

Thanks, I have Neooffice 3.2.1 patch 0 installed.
I tried your suggestion: renamed the NeoOffice-3.0 preference folder to NeoOffice-old, changed the LibreOffice Application support folder to LibreOffice-old, launched LibreOffice, same problem! Launched NeoOffice, no problem...
MacOSX software update shows everything up to date.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Sorry, I'm clueless then. I'll move the topic over to the Mac forum leaving a link in the LibreOffice forum.
Zeeza

Re: [Solved] LibreOffice crashes on Preferences (options)

Post by Zeeza »

I am having the exact same problem.

- installed LibreOffice for the first time but kept crashing when selecting anything in Prefs
- uninstalled, re-dowloaded, checked MD5, reinstalled and still happened
- rebooted machine and still happened
- renamed profile folder, re-opened and still happened
- gave up, downloaded and installed OO for the first time and it happened on that as well

...and I've just realised what's causing the problem: RightZoom. I had similar issues with Adobe programs and eventually traced it to that. If you are running RightZoom, add OpenOffice to Exclusions and it should be fine. Oddly, there isn't the option to put LibreOffice in Exclusions so you might have to use the 'whitelist' option if you want to keep using RightZoom.
LibreOffice 3.4.5---OpenOffice 3.3.0---Mac OSX 10.7.3