Repeated words not caught by spell checker

Discuss the word processor
ERR

Repeated words not caught by spell checker

Post by ERR »

I dont think this is in the right place but were else can I put it?

I notice 2.3 does not not pick up repeated words like another program I use does when I run spell checker also if I put in "spellchecker" when I right click on the misspelt word it give checkerboard as a option to replace the misspelt word is this way off or what?
Hagar Delest

Re: Context menu again for misspelled words

Post by Hagar Delest »

ERR wrote:I dont think this is in the right place but were else can I put it?
Then, post in the Beginner section ! It was definitively not related to the thread in which you had first posted.

I've moved your question in the Writer section. Could you detailed a bit please ? Have you added the words in a custom dictionary (like standard.dic) ?
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Some of the suggestions that the spell checker gives are way off, but that's true for Word as well - so much so that I have had many a good laugh about the idiotic suggestions it comes up with. The algorithm used to find matching words is simply too liberal. I'm afraid that you'll have to get down to it. And it's right that if if (intentional) you repeat two words the spell checker doesn't notice it, and Word does. The spell checker in Firefox doesn't notice it either, btw.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

ERR wrote:I notice 2.3 does not not pick up repeated words
That's more of a grammar checker. Try this: http://extensions.services.openoffice.o ... nguagetool
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

ERR wrote:when I run spell checker also if I put in "spellchecker" when I right click on the misspelt word it give checkerboard as a option to replace the misspelt word is this way off or what?
In my version it offers "spell checker" as the only alternative. UK dictionary (and US)
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Ah, I see what the "repeated" meant now ! I thought it was repeated along the document, not side by side.
LibreOffice 24.2 on Xubuntu 24.04 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Although it certainly is more a grammar than a spelling problem, Word has included double words in the spell checking for years. :mrgreen: That in itself doesn't mean a lot - MS has also introduced the ridiculous idea that you can win a game of patience, and their description of the effects of technology research in their highly popular* game Age of Empires raises serious doubts about their understanding of basic mathematical concepts like percentages. :lol:

* Marketing babble included to remind you how many people may have succumbed to their wrong ideas.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
huw
Volunteer

Re: Repeated words not caught by spell checker

Post by huw »

See "The least you need to know about regular expressions" under Regular Expressions in Writer for an example of how to find repeated words. You'll need to read the rest of the article up to that point if you are not familiar with regular expressions in OpenOffice.