CALC startup screen size - MacOSX - X11

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
houstonsmaug

CALC startup screen size - MacOSX - X11

Post by houstonsmaug »

I primarily use CALC. Whenever I install a new version of OO, I have to train CALC to open in a window that is smaller than the full screen. As of version 2.2, I was able to convince it to open in a window that was the right size, but not necessarily in the right place on the screen. Placement is not as important as size, so I didn't worry. When I installed 2.3, I was unable to change the default window size. After waiting patiently for 2.4, I find that I still cannot convince CALC to open in a smaller window. I see it trying. The window briefly flashes up as the correct size and then expands to fill the screen. What am I doing wrong? Can you point me to the file that I must delete or change permissions on so that this feature works properly (at least as well as it did in 2.2)?

Thanks in advance.
Hagar Delest

Re: CALC startup screen size - MacOSX - X11

Post by Hagar Delest »

You could try to rename your OOo user profile but I don't know where is is under Mac. For a hint, see in Tools>Options>OOo>Paths, it's the path that is set for most of the entries. Renaming it will lead OOo to create a new one with blank fresh configuration files.

NB: no such issue with the other components?

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
houstonsmaug

Post by houstonsmaug »

Thanks for the advice. I was able to get OOo to rebuild the profile. No joy however. There must be something special I must do to make it take my idea of a proper size for opening the window on the application. Any help would be appreciated.

As to the other applications. On the Mac, I hardly ever use them. I did open the word processing application to see what would happen. It started in a normal sized screen. On my Linux box, I often use Impress. In that situation, I wouldn't notice a full-screen start since that's how I want it. CALC is the only application that is annoying me.

I might add that the Mac is a special case since resizing a window is a pain. There is only one corner of a window that you can drag to resize the window. When this application starts, that corner is not active. Clicking on a button in the upper left of the screen makes it active. This pushes the active corner all the way to the lower right of the screen. This might seem convenient, except that on the Mac, that corner is active and putting the mouse in it makes all the windows on the screen run away from the edges and become inactive. Very precise mouse movements can be used at this point to grab the corner of the window, without activating the Mac special feature, and resize it.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I hope that some Mac user has a fix. Else, you can try NeoOffice or the Aqua version (but still a beta IIRC).

Good luck.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
goncho123

Post by goncho123 »

Hello, I have the same problem on my pc with writer. The other apps work just fine. I tried uninstalling/installing it again but it went the same. I' d really appreciate some help.
kabing
Volunteer

Post by kabing »

Perhaps running X11 makes a difference, but generally in Mac OSX you can resize a window without clicking on the green button in the upper left. Just drag the lower right corner of the window and it will resize as you drag.

In terms of the active corner issue that is making the windows run away (Exposé) you can change which corner (if any) triggers that action in the Dashboard and Exposé section of System Preferences.

kabing
NeoOffice (app store version) OpenOffice.org 4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3 on Mac OS X El Capitan
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 on Windows 10 (Previously on Vista)
wurzel
Volunteer

Post by wurzel »

The window sizes on startup, at least for Linux, are in a config file (I can't remember where this is stored for the time being, I'll need to hunt it down), however, I'm not sure how this is handled on MacOSX during startup of OOo.

Alex
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

A new OOo Beta 3.0 was released today, it is the first OOo to run on a Mac without the need for X11.

It can be obtained from OpenOffice.org Beta 3.0
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust