OO 3.2.1 crashes opening .docx file in Mac OS X

Discuss the word processor
lcr24

OO 3.2.1 crashes opening .docx file in Mac OS X

Post by lcr24 »

Hello, I am new to Open Office and have read a number of threads about .docx files. I use Mac OS X (on a MacBook Pro which is 1 yr old) and I have been creating files as .doc and sending to my supervisor with no problems. However I have now received one back in .docx format which is causing OO to crash. Still, from other threads it seems I should be able to open a .docx file with version 3.2.1.

The file is both large and contains a lot of comments, which is probably why it is causing problems.
My version of OO also seems a bit unstable as I used it to create a large document last weekend and it crashed for the first time then.
Now it is still able to open .doc files but when I try this .docx it doesn't recognise it - starts up with the initial window with all the different programs - if I then choose Open a document and choose the file, it crashes.

Should I try reinstalling Open Office?
Would be very grateful for any solution that enables me to view the file tonight, as I need to work on it urgently.

Many thanks...
OpenOffice 3.2.1 on Mac OS X
Hagar Delest

Re: OO 3.2.1 crashes opening .docx file in Mac OS X

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Can you try to upgrade to latest 3.3.0? Else you might have more luck with LibO.
docx is a rather dangerous beast...
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The DOCX filter is a LO, previously Go-oo, creation, so the latest version would be with them. NeoOffice uses the same filter so you could try it.

Two other options are top install the Word Viewer under wine or to try the MS converter for the file, the latest version of which was released today.

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Even if you were able to open the DOCX file with OOo 3.2.1, the comments would probably not be shown correctly. LO 3.4.3 should display the comments correctly, but you should continue saving in DOC format. Comments will be lost if saved in DOCX format using LO 3.4.3.

Bug 33463 -Comments are lost after FILESAVE as DOCX