[Solved] Deleting Unwanted fonts

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
lrollo

[Solved] Deleting Unwanted fonts

Post by lrollo »

There are a number of fonts installed by LibreOffice that I will never use. They are for languages I never use, or are of such poor quality that I would not wish to use them.

When I attempt to deleted them I'm told they are protected system fonts.

How do I get rid of them ? They are clutter as far as I am concnerned.
Last edited by lrollo on Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LibreOffice 3.4 / Win xp/win7
probe1
Volunteer

Re: Deleting Unwanted fonts

Post by probe1 »

OOo/LO only provides the fonts installed in your operating system.

Delete/uninstall them using your OS.

Does this help?
Cheers
Winfried

DateTime2 extension: insert date, time or timestamp, formatted to your needs
/a3

Post by /a3 »

Being on Windows, you can go to Control Panel > Fonts and use the Del key to delete them.

If you can't find the fonts section, just use the search bar in Control Panel.
LibreOffice 4.2
lrollo

Post by lrollo »

probe 1 and /as

Tks for your replies. I have tried both suggestions.

The unwanted fonts cannot be deleted in the same way fonts could be deleted or moved in XP.

There is no option in Windows Explorer to Move the files, only to Copy them. If I could move them to another drive, I would at least not see this huge list of unwanted or worthless fonts when I access the font field in a document or spreadsheet.

The delete option gives the message they are protected fonts.

I have always felt it was an imposition that installation programs add fonts without warning. The exception of Corel's WordPerfect. The later versions load only a few system fonts, the users gets to decide what other fonts are required.

I have yet to find a way of preventing LO loading these fonts or finding a process to remove the unwanted ones.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Start your Windows in Safe Mode and then move or delete any fonts you don't require from the Fonts directory is it C:\Windows\Fonts (I'm not on a Windows machine so can't check). You may also need to be logged on as Administrator, or with full Administrator rights.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
lrollo

Post by lrollo »

RoryOF

Rebooting into Safe Mode as Administrator still did not allow me to remove unwanted 'protected' files.

There are some 50 type faces, many with multiple attributes, relating to primarily Asian languages, that I never expect to use, and would like to removed them from the drop down list in documents font field.

Perhaps I should have asked if it's possible to control the fonts loaded by LO on installation.

If you can control font installation, I'd be better of uninstalling LO and re-installing and keeping our the unwanted fonts
/a3

Post by /a3 »

But what would happen if you install a new font on your operating system? Does LibreOffice ignore it? Keep in mind that LibreOffice is an office suite, not a font manager.

I think what you should be asking is how you can fix your font removal problem for Windows XP, not if LibreOffice can patch the situation.
LibreOffice 4.2
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The fonts may be marked "Read only" at system level, to prevent accidental erasure.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
lrollo

Post by lrollo »

:D :bravo: RoryOF

None of the fonts was marked Read Only.

Trying to delete them in Windows Safe Mode was not successfull.

I searched Windows with RedEdit and found a list of fonts at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Fonts [location may vary with Win 7 version]

Deleting the unwanted fonts by deleting its module in the right-hand panel removes the font names from the drop down list when working in a document.

Using this method one has to be careful not to delete essential MS system fonts.

Thank you all for your contributions. I now have a minimalist schedule of fonts.