Printing gridlines for a spreadsheet

Discuss the spreadsheet application
sherriflake

Printing gridlines for a spreadsheet

Post by sherriflake »

When printing a spreadsheet from CALC, the bottom half of the spreadsheet does not print the grid lines. I have formatted the cells with borders, and they also do not print. This has been an ongoing problem even with a previous computer that ran Windows XP. I am now using a new computer with Windows 7.
Open Office 3.3 Windows 7
swingkyd

Re: Printing gridlines for a spreadsheet

Post by swingkyd »

Can you post a copy of the spreadsheet on the forum?
acknak

Post by acknak »

By default, Calc doesn't print empty cells.

If you want to print an empty grid, you can set up a print range: select a range of cells, then Format > Print Range > Define.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
sherriflake

Post by sherriflake »

Thank you for the replies. The suggestions were followed, and the problem remained. Some of the empty cells DO have the grid lines printed, but only on the top portion of the sheet. The lines DO show in the print preview, but they do not print on the page. Might this be a printer issue? It was suggested that I post a copy of the spreadsheet. I do not find an option to attach. Would appreciate instructions on how to post a copy of the spreadsheet.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
acknak

Post by acknak »

sherriflake wrote:... The lines DO show in the print preview, but they do not print on the page. Might this be a printer issue?
Could well be the printer or printer driver software. Sometimes an update to the latest printer software can cure a glitch like this.

Here's an empty grid (2 pages) you can try; it prints fine for me.

You can also try exporting the sheet to pdf, then print the pdf from your pdf viewer application. That's usually an effective workaround to get something on paper.
Attachments
page_grid.ods
(8.1 KiB) Downloaded 723 times
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
sherriflake

Post by sherriflake »

Thank you, acnak!! The page you attached had the same problem. I exported my file to pdf, opened it with adobe acrobat reader, and it printed from there WITH the gridlines! Soon I will address the printer issue.
Open Office 3.3 Windows 7
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It may be that you need to change the printing resolution of your printer, as the lines may be vanishing because of cumulative arithmetic errors. Alternately, is it possible to increase the width of the default grid line - if so, try doubling it's weight.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
zoe_b1

Post by zoe_b1 »

I have tried everything from this forum posting to get a blank celled, but outlined spreadsheet for school. I can't see a Preview of anything even if I put a border on all the highlighted areas I choose. I am trying to print off A-J, 1-35. Any specific help would be sooo appreciated. It's for my children's schooling. Thank you!
Attachments
Corrected Timeline.xls
(6.5 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
Open Office 4.0.0 on Windows 8
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Corrected Timeline.xls
This is an empty spreadsheet file. No data, no cell borders, there is not specified print range (it is exactly in the the default status: 'entire sheet'. What do you want to print?

(And the file type of the attached spreadsheet is .xls. Always work in the native ODF formats (.ods in this case), is you want work efficiently with the open source office suites.)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I am trying to print off A-J, 1-35.
1.a: Put a . (dot) character into the last cell (J35): Then the Sheet will not empty.

1.b: or put a formula into the cell J35 what will result an empty string) for example:

Code: Select all

=IF(ISBLANK(A1);"";"")

2.a: Format the cells with the desired border (in this case you can set the line width, line type, line color.)
Select the range to print, Format - Cells - TAB: Borders...

2.b: or set this option in the Page style:
Format - Page (default page style) - TAB: Sheet - Area: Print - Check in the 'Grid" option (in this case the sheet will print with the grey cell grid)
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
zoe_b1

Post by zoe_b1 »

Zizi64 wrote:
I am trying to print off A-J, 1-35.
1.a: Put a . (dot) character into the last cell (J35): Then the Sheet will not empty.

1.b: or put a formula into the cell J35 what will result an empty string) for example:

Code: Select all

=IF(ISBLANK(A1);"";"")

2.a: Format the cells with the desired border (in this case you can set the line width, line type, line color.)
Select the range to print, Format - Cells - TAB: Borders...

2.b: or set this option in the Page style:
Format - Page (default page style) - TAB: Sheet - Area: Print - Check in the 'Grid" option (in this case the sheet will print with the grey cell grid)

No go still. When I used 1a and 1b they only allowed me to print a cingle column of rows. 2a and 2b were blank pages. I use the xls format to allow my fellow moms the ability to print off what I come up with since they don't use OO.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I use the xls format
Do not use incompatible, foreign file formats if you want work efficiently with the opensource office suites. The ODF is an International Standard document format. Use it, or export your document into a well documented portable format (pdf)
(The binary .xls format never was standardized, and the export filter was developed with the 'reverse enginering' method...)
zoe_b1

Post by zoe_b1 »

Zizi64 wrote:
I use the xls format
Do not use incompatible, foreign file formats if you want work efficiently with the opensource office suites. The ODF is an International Standard document format. Use it, or export your document into a well documented portable format (pdf)
(The binary .xls format never was standardized, and the export filter was developed with the 'reverse enginering' method...)

I get that. I did find a way to print my grid lines and still have a blank document. Open a new Calc (Spreadsheet) and go into Format > Page > Sheet > Tick Grid in the Print list and click OK. THEN put a space in the top left hand cell and the bottom right hand cells of the sheet by placing the cursor in the cell and moving the space bar a few times.

Do a Print Preview before printing to be sure what is done is correct. The first time I tried it wasn't completely the area, so I went into all four corners and pressed the space bar a few times. I got it. Ha Ha