Chart Color Palette

Discuss the spreadsheet application
swingkyd

Chart Color Palette

Post by swingkyd »

Does anyone know of a good visually appealing chart color palette? I recall in my searches online a while ago some reference to a very good paper on how and why color palettes for charts can be created to be visually appealing and distinctive. I just cannot remember where this paper was located or what it might have been called. I was hoping someone in the community would have have some additional background information. I can manually edit the colors for charts but having a nice import-export utility (something like what the color table specification) would help.
swingkyd

Re: Chart Color Palette

Post by swingkyd »

OK. I found one good paper...but it still leaves one wondering how I can create a palette for my XY plots which usually have lines comparing up to 10 sets of data. I find the default color palette very difficult to visually distinguish the colors.

If anyone is interested, here is one such paper: Practical Rules for Using Color in Charts.pdf
swingkyd

Post by swingkyd »

I've changed the color palette in Calc by drawing a square, then importing a new color table through the Format->Area dialog. However, this new color palette does not apply to the color table in here: Tools>Options>Charts>Default Colors

So really, I guess I cannot change those default colors for some reason. Does anyone know how to do this?
acknak

Post by acknak »

Did you try Tools > Options > Charts > Default Colors?

You can modify the chart colors there; I don't see any way to load a new set.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23