[Solved] Creating/adding a Vertical Line

Discuss the spreadsheet application
trj

[Solved] Creating/adding a Vertical Line

Post by trj »

I have a graph with the date along the bottom as the y axis. I want t o add a Bold or color vertical line at one particular date that appears on the chart. Any ideas how to do this?
Thanks
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 2.2 on Mac 10.5
Hagar Delest

Re: Creating/adding a Vertical Line

Post by Hagar Delest »

What I usually do (in MS Excel, never tried it with Calc) is that I add another data set and for the Y value, I take the highest value of all other series (so that the upper limit of the Y axis is not increased). As I often get the lines linking to the previous and next point, I remove the line and use the error bar (the min being 100%) so that it fakes a line.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.

Edit: here is my proposal together with r4zoli's one below, based on his attachment (the advantage of my method is that you can put several vertical lines. But his method is quicker if you need only one.
Attachments
Chart_with_red_line.ods
(12.32 KiB) Downloaded 801 times
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

It can be done in OOo 3.2 versions or later (3.1.x not support secondary axis edit).
Select whole chart, right click, select "Insert/Delete Secondary axis".
Add secondary axis.
Select new axis to edit.
Select positioning tab, "Cross other axis" to "Value" or "Category" set what you want, uncheck interval marks.
On Line tab change line color and width.
On Label tab, unselect "Show labels".

It works with such Charts that not use secondary axis.
I did it in Develeopment version of OOo 3.2 which is not for everyday use, it will be out in December this year or later.
Attachments
Chart_with_red_line.ods
example file
(13.57 KiB) Downloaded 904 times
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
trj

Post by trj »

Thanks much! I will try both and post results.
:)
OpenOffice 2.2 on Mac 10.5
CanadianISP

Post by CanadianISP »

This was a perfect solution - *exactly* what I was looking for.
Thanks, r4zoli!
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows Vista
tedballou

Post by tedballou »

The secondary axis "positioning" is great for highlighting a particular time that an event occurred. Is there any way to pull the value from a data cell, instead of typing it explicitly in the dialogue box?

Thanks a lot -- Ted
OpenOffice 3.1 windows XP
tedballou

Post by tedballou »

Well, after posting my question I realized it's easy to use a data cell value to place a vertical line marker, for an xy plot: just add a data series with two points: the "x" values are links to the cell with the event time to be marked, and the "y" values are the y-range of the chart. Then format this data series with "icon" as "no symbol" and pick the "line properties" to your heart's content.

Cheers, Ted
OpenOffice 3.1 windows XP