Open/LibreOffice exits immediately after starting

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
Gremnon

Open/LibreOffice exits immediately after starting

Post by Gremnon »

Edit: Oops. Didn't realize there was a Libreoffice-specific section. Applies to OpenOffice for me too though.

Attempting to run either Open or LibreOffice on Gentoo, whether by the compile-it-yourself ebuild or by the prebuild '-bin' ebuilds, gives me the same result every time, no matter what part of it I select. Running from a terminal gives the following:

Code: Select all

X-Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
   Major opcode: 148
   Minor opcode: 4
   Resource ID:  0x2a
   Serial No:    1040 (1040)
Application Error
Which isn't very helpful.
Thanks to the helpful folks at LinuxQuestions, we were able to narrow the problem down to one variable.
If 'SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN' is set to 'gtk' or 'kde', the interface flicks up for a few moments before the above output appears and libre/openoffice quits. However, if it is set to 'gen' (for generic X11) it works perfectly fine.

Suspected the problem could lie in the GTK or QT toolkits and so rebuilt both but to no avail. It was suggested that any themes for either that use elements of the other could be the cause, but there are no such themes on the system except for QT's GTK+ style, which is not in use.

At a bit of a loss now, since there seems to be no apparent lead to follow and find out what the fix is for this one.
LibreOffice 3.4.1 on Gentoo Linux i686
PGAGA
Volunteer

Re: Open/Libreoffice exits immediately after starting

Post by PGAGA »

Friday, July 22, 2011

First my admiration for using Gentoo - it is the true hackers Linux. That means it permits extreme customization and sometimes great fun finding software conflicts.

My only question would be whether you are deleting the LibreOffice profile between starts. Startup information is contained there. Far too often problems with OOo and its derivatives can be traced to something in the profile.

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2
Gremnon

Re: Open/LibreOffice exits immediately after starting

Post by Gremnon »

Oh, believe me I've found plenty of software conflicts since using Gentoo. They've all been fairly easy to solve now I've gotten to grips with it - it really isn't as hard as people think... except maybe for the kernel, but that's just because I've never had a custom made one work first time yet.
Anyway, OT aside...
I've tried removing (and backing up) the entire ~/.libreoffice directory aside so it has to start from scratch, and even loading it as a freshly created user. Unfortunately, it appears to make no difference either way.
Unless it's hidden somewhere else, and what I've been removing is not the actual profile.
LibreOffice 3.4.1 on Gentoo Linux i686