[Solved] Can Microsoft Office open OpenOffice.org Documents?

Not sure where to post? Post here!
mastavic

[Solved] Can Microsoft Office open OpenOffice.org Documents?

Post by mastavic »

Hello, I hope you are well.

I have used OpenOffice in the past - at least three years ago - and liked it quite a bit. However, after a run-in with a huge problem - basically, I wrote an essay for my university class using OpenOffice, and when I turned it in via e-mail, my professor couldn't open it and I didn't receive a grade - I stopped using OpenOffice.

I tried looking for an answer to my question in the forum, but now my head is spinning. Please feel free to treat me as a complete computer newbie and just answer my question, if possible.

Can Microsoft Office, both 2003 and 2007, open documents (word processing, spreadsheet, etc.) done on OpenOffice, and vice versa?

Thank you,
Victor
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved
OOo 3.1.X on Ms Windows XP
Caracalla
Volunteer

Re: Can Microsoft Office open OpenOffice Documents?

Post by Caracalla »

Openoffice can read anything that MS office can make. Openoffice can also save files in MS office's .doc format. So, if you are sending documents to people that don't have Openofice, and that need to edit the documents you should send them in .doc/.xls/etcetera. If they don't need to edit the document it's best to use .pdf since that guarantees that they will see the document as you intended.

MS office 2007 with SP2 should be able to use OOo's native files but its implementation is deeply flawed.
Has your question been answered? Then please add [solved] to the title of your thread.
My pet peeve, No support for international ordinal numbering
please vote

Er is nu ook een Nederlandstalig forum!
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Opensuse 11.1
buddylynn

Post by buddylynn »

My question is exactly the same, but the complete answer was not made. Can I open an OpenOffice Document with Microsoft Office 2003? I tried to do that, and the document was not listed in Microsoft Word. I can open Microsoft documents with OpenOffice, but not vice versa. I am a newbie, please help.
OOo 2.3.X on Ms Windows XP
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Openoffice can also save files in MS office's .doc format.
From a previous post. You have to save them in .doc format by doing FIle-->Save As and selecting Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP or Excel as needed. 2003 is not capable of reading the native OOo formats.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
r4zoli
Volunteer

Post by r4zoli »

You can add to MSO, SUN ODF plugin.
The Sun ODF Plugin for Microsoft Office gives users of Microsoft Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint the ability to read, edit and save to the ISO-standard Open Document Format (ODF).
AOO 4.0 and LibO 4 on Win 8
Hungarian forum co-admin
Geogalhano

Post by Geogalhano »

I have a similar problem. I can't save as in word document format. The openoffice writer says that my file is blocked. Another times says that is not responding. This only happens when I made save as word XP/97/2000 format.

Thanks
OOo 3.1.X on Ms Windows XP
sajairaj

Re: Can Microsoft Office open OpenOffice.org Documents?

Post by sajairaj »

I have found an answer to the question!!!eureka... GOOGLE.. google nowadays have become the final answer for anything. just upload the file in google docs and then download it as .doc.. simple and you are there....
openoffice 2.0
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

sajairaj wrote:I have found an answer to the question!!!eureka... GOOGLE.. google nowadays have become the final answer for anything. just upload the file in google docs and then download it as .doc.. simple and you are there....

Looks like SPAMSPAMSPAM to me
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
darmo

Post by darmo »

i try to open open office doc in my windows vista, can anyone help me about it
thanks before
openoffice 3.1 on windows vista
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

What happens exactly? Do you need to open it with MS Office?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
sajairaj

Post by sajairaj »

jrkrideau wrote:
sajairaj wrote:I have found an answer to the question!!!eureka... GOOGLE.. google nowadays have become the final answer for anything. just upload the file in google docs and then download it as .doc.. simple and you are there....

hey bro.. which part of my post gave you an impression of SPAM... if you have not sufficient knowledge to share ideas then atleast accept others ideas. Dont simply throw your mouth on everything...
openoffice 2.0
/a3

Post by /a3 »

Generally spammers reply to old topics like this one, which is why your original post looked a bit suspicious. I must admit I thought the same thing at the time.
LibreOffice 4.2
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

sajairaj wrote:
jrkrideau wrote:

hey bro.. which part of my post gave you an impression of SPAM... [/auote]

All of it? It really did not address the problem directly: You just said "GOOGLE". And you had only 2 postings. This is a very common pattern for a spammer.

My appoligies

if you have not sufficient knowledge to share ideas then atleast accept others ideas. Dont simply throw your mouth on everything...
New here?
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
sajairaj

Post by sajairaj »

Well said.. I am new to here.. And I am not used to forums. I am not a techie as well.. And I don't care if you block me as a spammer.. But I need to say something..What was the actual Question? Can Microsoft Office open OpenOffice.org Documents? And the most desirable answer to the question was Sun ODF plugin.. I had this trouble to view. That's why I came to this post... have you ever gone to that plugin link? It reaches nowhere...And if somebody doesn't have openoffice installed and not able to find the plugin.. only two options left to him.. either install openoffice or do what I said... so I make practical sense by posting this to those people who desperately visit this site for an instant solution.. before saying anything just try what i have told.. it will work for sure...
openoffice 2.0
aqualung
Volunteer

Post by aqualung »

sajairaj wrote:And the most desirable answer to the question was Sun ODF plugin.. I had this trouble to view. That's why I came to this post... have you ever gone to that plugin link? It reaches nowhere...
You can find that plugin at Softpedia: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-too ... fice.shtml
OOo 3.3.0, Windows 7 64-bit SP1, planning to add LibreOffice after a bug-fix version of 3.4 is released.
Has your question been answered? Please go back to the message at the top of the thread and mark it as [SOLVED].
/a3

Post by /a3 »

Just a suggestion: when I hand in assignments, I often convert them to the PDF format for reading. Since PDF is an open specification, practically anyone can open these files.

For files which the teacher may wish to edit, I send them in the original .odf and I also convert them to .docx.

But for your question, I have no idea. I generally don't open ODF files with Word and (and visa-versa with .docx). But just slightly off-topic, I noticed LibreOffice handles .docx files far better than what OpenOffice.org did.
LibreOffice 4.2
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

/a3 wrote:Just a suggestion: when I hand in assignments, I often convert them to the PDF format for reading. Since PDF is an open specification, practically anyone can open these files.

For files which the teacher may wish to edit, I send them in the original .odf and I also convert them to .docx.
I never use OOXML (docx/xlsx/pptx) because these file formats include a lot of features that are not implemented in OpenOffice.org.
After 20 years of co-evolution OOo (StarOffice) supports the old binary file formats almost as well as its own ones and for the years to come MS can not afford to drop full support for the old file formats. When a doc looks well in WinWord it is rather unlikely that it fails completely in OOo.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Dannf

Post by Dannf »

I purchased MSOffice 2007 for $249.95. After several frustrating months I came to the conclusion that the hundreds of ICONS they used to replace the 26 letter phonetic alphabet was a sign of the end of our civilization.

They are the self appointed 'priesthood' of our society, will soon have their icons (comic-book-characters) on the outside of large buildings to "inform" us peons, we will abandon the phonetic alphabet, and those marks will be our only legacy, seen by future archaeologists as the hieroglyphs of this civilization. (Prior civilizations also had their earlier written language displaced by priesthood imposed comic-book characters.)

That heartburn aside, I switched to Open Office three years ago and have been much less frustrated.

I am convinced that their lack of inclusion of OO in the MS translation lexicon is intentionally malicious. After all, OO is free, each person who uses OO takes $250 out of the MS pockets, minimum.

So I inform all of my contacts that I use OO and to notify me if they have MSWord AND are unwilling to download OO. (I include a version of the above with my apologies.) Then I will translate my documents for them by re-sending in .rtf or.doc, a two minute operation. For broad mailings, I send the document in both formats. Many have gotten the message and are being converted to a more user friendly way of life.

It is a bit of a burden for me, but I enjoy teaching others. And If enough of us send such info and enough others switch to OO maybe MS will get the message and stop being so greedy and arrogant. (I can dream, can't I?)
OpenOffice 3.3.0 on Wibdows 7
PGAGA
Volunteer

Post by PGAGA »

Friday, February 17, 2012
corrinla wrote:My word office is 2003 version. it is not capable of reading the native OOo formats.
If you 2003 is Windows install the addon from here

http://katana.oooninja.com/w/odf-conver ... r/download

Phil
OpenOffice.org 3.2.x, StarOffice 5.1, 7, 8 - OS X, WinXP, OS/2
StarOffice 7, 8, Oracle Open Office 3.3.1, LibreOffice 3.x.x - OS X, Ubuntu, WinXP
NeoOffice 2.2.6, 3.1.2, 3.2.x 3.3 - OS X
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.x - WinXP, OS X, OS/2