[Solved] Default to wrong printer

Discuss the word processor
GowerMick

[Solved] Default to wrong printer

Post by GowerMick »

Hi,

Where can I find ALL the places that a Writer document can pickup the printer to use?

I have changed the wireless printer on my wifes laptop, changing the default printer in Windows 7, but everytime she clicks 'Print direct' icon, writer attempt to print to the old ' non-existent' printer.
I've tried changing the documents print defaults, but it still tries the old printer.

As a stop-gap, I've changed the icon to 'Print' to bring up dialogue box, but this is annoying the wife, as she then has to click print to continue.

What am I missing?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged Solved.
Mick
LibreOffice 7.2.6.2 (x64)
Oracle Report Builder
Windows 10 Home
RoryOF

Re: Default to wrong printer

Post by RoryOF »

Have you rebooted the computer since changing the printer?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
GowerMick

Post by GowerMick »

Yes, many times.
Mick
Oracle Report Builder
Windows 10 Home
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Perhaps you should delete/rename her User Profile
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 74&t=12426
GowerMick

Post by GowerMick »

RoryOF wrote:Perhaps you should delete/rename her User Profile
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/ ... 74&t=12426
Rory

I have a motto, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Deleting the profile seems a bit drastic, how would this affect Calc, Base etc? I'm all for a quiet life, and if there was a chance it would upset something else, it wouldn't be worth it.

We had a similar problem with Sage Accounts. If you modified a report in a certain way, it saved the printer settings within the report, and henceforth, every time you went to print it, it used the report's embedded printer, even if it no longer existed.
I was just wondering if openoffice.org embedded the printer settings into a document in a similar way.
Mick
Oracle Report Builder
Windows 10 Home
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Log on to her computer using a different User name. OOo will build a new User Profile for that User. If it works the printer correctly, then you know that changing your wife's user profile will probably be the solution. If you rename her existing User Profile then you can incrementally bring forward the contents to the new one, if you decide to go that route.
GowerMick

Post by GowerMick »

RoryOF wrote:Log on to her computer using a different User name.
Again, it seems like using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut.

All I want to know is where is Openoffice.org getting this 'old' Printer from? - e.g. if it is from within the document, I can re-write document.

Once I know, I'll then decide how to correct it, if the effort is worth it. If not, she'll have to live with it.

Thanks
Mick
Oracle Report Builder
Windows 10 Home
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Under Tools>Options>Load/Save>General is the 'Load printer settings with the document' option checked? If so, try to uncheck it.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
GowerMick

Post by GowerMick »

Yes!! That was set, and explains what was happening.

I've now unchecked it.

Thanks
Mick
Oracle Report Builder
Windows 10 Home
HAL9000

Re: [Solved] Default to wrong printer

Post by HAL9000 »

I realize this is an old thread, but I found an alternate solution that solves a related problem, so I am posting in case someone with the same issue stumbles upon this thread (as I did).

The issue below was present in Oo 4.1.0 on Windows 8.1 (it did not occur in 3.4.1 on Windows 7 on another machine)

I had to remove and re-install a network printer on my step-daughter's laptop, and gave the new install a slightly different name. While the old one was gone from Devices & Printers, both remained in Oo's list of available printers, and the old one remained as the default for pre-existing documents.

The solution given above worked for me to remove the defunct printer as the default for existing documents (for printing from the icon), but it remained available in the pull-down.

The status for the printer (File>Printer Settings) showed Pending deletion; error; 3 documents.
After searching in vain for a solution (and finding this thread), I tried stopping and starting the printer spooler, with no change. On a hunch, I stopped the printer spooler and restarted the computer. I then noticed that the defunct printer was still listed in the pull-down, but with 2 documents remaining.

You guessed it. I stopped the print spooler and rebooted 2 more times (opening Oo after each to check) and the old printer was gone.

This won't be a practical quick solution if there are many documents showing in the printer's status, but it may help those who have only a few documents showing.
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7 Pro SP1
icerabbit

Post by icerabbit »

Old thread, but:
Hagar Delest wrote:Under Tools>Options>Load/Save>General is the 'Load printer settings with the document' option checked? If so, try to uncheck it.
Thank you!
Thank YOU!!
THANK YOU!!!

We had already abandoned the direct print button, because things seemingly had a mind of their own where to print to. Small office with several computers, multiple identical printers of the same brand in different locations ... file is opened or revised here or there, yet prints elsewhere. You hit print, nothing seems to happen, then you go print via the menu, stuff prints locally, only to later find out the first printout went to a remote printer 4 rooms away.

It wasn't until the heavy duty printer was swapped for a new one, and no matter what, the print button would not reflect this one as a default printer at all -- OO/LO keeps listing the old one for every single document -- that I knew something was up.

But where?
Of course it wouldn't be under OO/LO Options > Print (logic?)

Fortunately it still is a preference setting.

It all makes sense now, that there is a document - printer type of link saved somewhere.

While I can see a document-printer link having some benefit, at the same time, I think for the average user and office OO/LO should just default print to default printer. Since printers are replaced very often these days due to their low purchase cost and feature upgrades vs high repair cost.

Additional question, on the printer and print icon subject.

Is it possible in OO/LO to add additional printer icons which each would be dedicated to printing to a specific (virtual) printer?

Back in the day in MSO I had an icon for draft print b/w and color print. I may like to do the same in OO/LO to keep color use down some, possibly even with two page up layout as default.
OpenOffice 4+ Mac OS X 10.6 10.7 10.8 10.9 Win XP Vista 7 8
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

icerabbit wrote:Is it possible in OO/LO to add additional printer icons which each would be dedicated to printing to a specific (virtual) printer? [/b]
Perhaps a macro could do that and then a macro can be assigned to a button to put in a toolbar.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Pvtdonutdj88

Post by Pvtdonutdj88 »

If anyone runs into this problem with Windows 10, just follow these steps, it"s better than restarting a million times hoping it will go away.

Search for the Services Program, go into it and scroll down and look for Printer Spool, then STOP it, and right-click and go to properties and click the automatic dropdown menu and select manual.

Then go into C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS

Delete everything in that folder. If it says it can't delete everything because it's open in another program, make sure your programs aren't running or you'll have to restart your computer and go back in a delete the rest.

If the folder is empty then go back to the Printer Spool in the services menu and start it and turn it back to Automatic (Not the Delayed one). Then try and bring up Openoffice and the phantom printer should be gone.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 Windows 10 Home
jimr

Post by jimr »

where do i find the "services program" when i try to print, the printer does not respond or says "no paper" or "off line" 3 printers are listed all basic hp envy 4500 series printers. when i looked in control panel i did see one printer. I deleted it but they still appear in oo. I deleted oo and replaced it. same damn problem, the 3 printers are there and i can not delete them. using win 10. any help would be greatly appreciated.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

jimr wrote:where do i find the "services program"
Hit the Windows key on your keyboard and type "Services" (without the quotes). That should find the Services desktop app.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04