Headers with page number

Discuss the word processor
Michaela

Headers with page number

Post by Michaela »

Is there a way to number your pages in the header? Because I put my name and a number in a header, but then once I inserted a page break manually, the page number on the proceeding pages stayed the same as the first page, which is not what I need or want for my research paper I have to write in APA format. Also, it inserting a page break only available manually, or is there a automatic way to do it. I just tried out the program for a few moments, so I don't know. And even if I did fiddle around with it, it would probably take me a while to figure it out, which probably won't be in time for my paper to be due on the 11th of July. But then again, I could use Microsoft Word until I do figure it out. Sorry, I'm just transitioning from Word to OpenOffice which I think is much better already.

Title Edited. A descriptive title for posts helps others who are searching for solutions and increases the chances of a reply (Hagar, Moderator).
OpenOffice 3.3 is installed on Windows 7 system. Working on changing that though.
therabi
Volunteer

Re: Headers

Post by therabi »

Any thing manually entered in the header/footer is add on each page with that style. To place a page number that increases on each page you have to use Insert> Fields> Page Number . There are other items, including Author, that can be inserted by using fields.

HTH
OpenOffice.org v3.3, LibO v3.32 on Ubuntu 10.10 and Win7
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: Headers

Post by jrkrideau »

Michaela wrote:Is there a way to number your pages in the header? Because I put my name and a number in a header,but then once I inserted a page break manually, the page number on the proceeding pages stayed the same as the first page, which is not what I need or want for my research paper
Insert > Field > Page Number

You really should have a look at the Styles & the Page Styles and Templates chapters at OOo Authors
. Half an hour reading them will save you hours of hassle.

OOo often looks superficially like Word but it works very differently. Perhaps the key difference is how OOo Writer makes very extensive use of Styles where Word usually does notl

Also, it inserting a page break only available manually, or is there a automatic way to do it.
I am not sure of your question here? OOo pages automaatically just like any other word processor. Are you asking if there is a key-board short-cut ?

I just tried out the program for a few moments, so I don't know. And even if I did fiddle around with it, it would probably take me a while to figure it out, which probably won't be in time for my paper to be due on the 11th of July. But then again, I could use Microsoft Word until I do figure it out. Sorry, I'm just transitioning from Word to OpenOffice which I think is much better already.[/quote]
I have to write in APA format.
If you need an APA style paper the first thing to do is to create an APA template. This means taking an empty document, and setting up all the paragraph styles that you need for APA — styles of headings,etc, and then saving it as a template File > Template < Save and then accessing it from the File > Open > Templates menu.

Here is an example of an APA template (for a paper submission not a university essay paper) but it should give you some idea of how to approach the issue or you may be able to adapt it fairly easily. Note it's APA 5 format but I doubt if much has changed in the basics. I don't know how it handles internet refs.

As a follow up. I'd recommend having a look at Zotero to handle your references. The APA template for Zotero seems to work very well and handles all the niggling little formatting problems APA tosses up.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Hagar Delest

Re: Headers with page number

Post by Hagar Delest »

See also [Tutorial] Page numbering.

Please add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Headers with page number

Post by RoryOF »

And even if I did fiddle around with it, it would probably take me a while to figure it out, which probably won't be in time for my paper to be due on the 11th of July. But then again, I could use Microsoft Word until I do figure it out.
Foolish to start writing a paper for an immediate deadline on an un-familiar word processor. Stick to MS Word until you have more time.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS