[Issue] Can I save as docx?

Discuss the word processor
crispeto

[Issue] Can I save as docx?

Post by crispeto »

I tried searching for this but couldn't find an answer. I know that I'm able to open docx files with oo3.0 but can I save files as docx? If so, how? Thanks
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged the thread as issue (link to a bug report).
OOo 3.0.X on Mac OSx Leopard
squenson
Volunteer

Re: Can I save as docx?

Post by squenson »

As far as I know, this is not possible, but what would be the advantage anyway? All versions of Word and most of the other word processors can open the format 97/XP which is a kind of lingua franca for office documents.
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

Register for an account in the Issue Tracker and add two votes to this issue, but don't hold your breath.

http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=88355
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP
icc97

Post by icc97 »

squenson wrote:As far as I know, this is not possible, but what would be the advantage anyway? All versions of Word and most of the other word processors can open the format 97/XP which is a kind of lingua franca for office documents.
The advantage is when you are dealing with anyone who is saving a file as docx, you shouldn't have to convert it to a .doc when you edit their document. The idea of Open Office is that it is a replacement for Microsoft Office, so it should be able to copy with any major documents that Microsoft Office creates. That includes reading and saving. Its a mild embarrasment to have to ask someone to change the format of their document because you're using a system that can't handle saving in that format. The bottom line is that it will prevent people from switching.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows 7 and Ubutu 10.10
icc97

Post by icc97 »

AndrewZ wrote:Register for an account in the Issue Tracker and add two votes to this issue, but don't hold your breath.

http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=88355
Thanks @AndrewZ for the post - I've duly voted on it.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows 7 and Ubutu 10.10
Hagar Delest

Re: [Issue] Can I save as docx?

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have a look at: MS Office 2007 OOXML file format (docx, xslx, pptx, ppsx).

If you've to use docx, then use MS Office. It has not been designed to be compatible with anything else.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
TamusJRoyce

Post by TamusJRoyce »

OpenXML formatted .docx should be supported. Not supporting it shows Oracle owns this project and I no longer consider it true open source. I will be using LibreOffice.org's branch of Open Office from now on.

OpenXML's only tie with Microsoft is that it was the primary investor (time designing it and money). But since it is a true "open standard" designed by Microsoft to be used by open source programs, supporting it should be no issue. Non-standarized older Microsoft Office document formats are supported. And as such, I believe MrProgrammer, that you are a bit of a hypocrite.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

TamusJRoyce wrote:OpenXML's only tie with Microsoft is that it was the primary investor (time designing it and money). But since it is a true "open standard" designed by Microsoft to be used by open source programs, supporting it should be no issue.
You'll have to convince all of us. Please read the topic I've linked above.
MS still uses its transitional flavor and doesn't support the ISO version.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
BigEars

Post by BigEars »

My mac didn't come with Microsoft office, and I am NOT going out and paying x amount of hundreds of dollars for a software suite that usually comes free on the device. Microsoft leads the way in desktop word processing, if Open Office wants to be seen as a competitor it needs to be up to the same standard, if not higher. I love it because its free and up until the point I try to hand in my assignments, does the job for me.
Open Office 3.0
Mac OSX Snow Leopard
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

BigEars wrote:My mac didn't come with Microsoft office, and I am NOT going out and paying x amount of hundreds of dollars for a software suite that usually comes free on the device. Microsoft leads the way in desktop word processing, if Open Office wants to be seen as a competitor it needs to be up to the same standard, if not higher. I love it because its free and up until the point I try to hand in my assignments, does the job for me.
So what you are saying is that your academic institution has approved a vendor lock on its students. Nice1 I wonder how many defacto monopolies MS has in academic institutions?

What happens if you submit in PDF format?
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

SInce May of 2006 ODF is THE standard which describes office documents in a vendor independent manner.
ODF is THE standard which is used by a wide variety of applications except for the most important one which prefers to invent its own hyper-complex XML desaster in order to undermine any such standard. Full ODF support would be very easy to implement for MS since it describes a subset of the MS office features. The other way round is not an option unless you rewrite a clone of MS Office. After 20 years of co-evolution, the binary formats come very close to the feature set of this office suite.

"Office Open XML" (do you notice the "Open" and the "Office" in that name?) is still not published and even MS fails to comply with this unpublished pseudo-standard which describes how their own suite handles its own office documents.
There are 2 versions of OOXML: The one that is produced by MS Office actually and the one that has been bribed through the standardization boards. The first includes binary data and lots of undocumented rubbish, the second is not free of license fees.

If you are really worried about standards you can add http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-too ... fice.shtml to your preferred office suite.

Please do not tell the OpenOffice.org community how to implement standards.
Please do not install OpenOffice.org nor LibreOffice on your Windows system when you like MS Office better.
Please steal MS Office and stick with it forever. Hint: They removed the copy protection from their latest version.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice