[Solved] LibreOffice - File associations Win XP SP3

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
cigtoxdoc

[Solved] LibreOffice - File associations Win XP SP3

Post by cigtoxdoc »

Since I removed OpenOoffice and installed Libre Office 3.3.3, I have lostt my file associatikions for MS WORD, EXCEL, etc., documents. Also, Win XP will not let me associate *.doc with soffice.exe or swriter.exe. I do not have MSOFFICE loaded on this particular PC, not has it ever been loaded.

Is this problem goign to be fixed?

Do I need to return to OpenOffice to regain my file associations?

Thank you,

JOhn
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
franx
Volunteer

Re: Libre Office - file associations Win XP SP3

Post by franx »

Hi,

please try a 'Custom Setup', see
Installation of LibreOffice 3.3 on Windows
<http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/ins ... n/windows/>
especially:
- Dialog Box #6: Choice of Typical or Custom Installation
- Dialog Box #8: Choice for File Type Associations

You may start from 'Add or Remove Programs' > 'LibreOffice...' > 'Modify',
or
(unpacked *.exe file) 'libreoffice33.msi' > right-click 'Install' > 'Modify'.
LibreOffice 4.0.4 · WinXP
Bill
Volunteer

Re: LibreOffice - File associations Win XP SP3

Post by Bill »

cigtoxdoc wrote:Since I removed OpenOoffice and installed Libre Office 3.3.3, I have lostt my file associatikions for MS WORD, EXCEL, etc., documents.
If you do a Custom installation and want to be able to associate MS Office files with LO, you must check the boxes in Dialog Box #8. If you don't check those boxes, LO won't register itself as able to open MS files, and won't show up in the Open With list when you try to change the file association. If you do check those boxes or do a Typical installation instead of a Custom installation, then LO will show up in the Open With list of MS Office files.
cigtoxdoc wrote:Also, Win XP will not let me associate *.doc with soffice.exe or swriter.exe. I do not have MSOFFICE loaded on this particular PC, not has it ever been loaded.
This happens because both OOo and LO use the soffice.exe and swriter.exe file names. When the file association is made in OOo, a registry key is created having the same name as the executable file. This key isn't removed when OOo is uninstalled (even Revo Uninstaller misses it), and Windows won't allow the key to be reused for LO because it contains an invalid path to the removed OOo file. To fix it, use the registry cleaner portion of CCleaner. It will find and delete the key with the invalid path.
cigtoxdoc

Re: LibreOffice - File associations Win XP SP3

Post by cigtoxdoc »

Thank you franx and Bill. Problem solved. When I did install of LibreOffice, I clicked on Excel option but not on Word and PowerPoint options. The procedure suggested by franx worked.

John
OOo 3.0.X on Ubuntu 8.x + MS Win XP Pro SP3
philesq

Re: [Solved] LibreOffice - File associations Win XP SP3

Post by philesq »

OpenOffice use to open automatically for newer versions of Word or Excel but now LibreOffice will not do that and it does not appear in the list of software that can open the file. If I open LibreOffice first and then drag the file on top of it, I can view the file. However, I would like LibreOffice to open newer versions of Word or Excel without doing the custom install to always open files with LibreOffice. Does anyone know how to do that?
LibreOffice 3 on Windows XP
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

philesq wrote:OpenOffice use to open automatically for newer versions of Word or Excel but now LibreOffice will not do that and it does not appear in the list of software that can open the file. If I open LibreOffice first and then drag the file on top of it, I can view the file. However, I would like LibreOffice to open newer versions of Word or Excel without doing the custom install to always open files with LibreOffice. Does anyone know how to do that?
Did you read my earlier post?
philesq

Post by philesq »

I didn't realize your post mentioned the open with list and I thought it referred to always opening with. I guess I was reading to quickly. Thanks!
LibreOffice 3 on Windows XP
pigmaster

Post by pigmaster »

Hello.
I had the same problem. I couldn't associate files with libreoffice programs. I've read this threat beacase it had [solved] in google. So you open Folder Options -> File Types -> (if you don't have ods or odt on the list click new and enter ods or other file extension) -> (extension of file type is on the list, mark it) -> Advanced -> [ New -> (window: new action, action: open, Application used to perform action: click Browse and find scalc exe, in bracket you will have : ["C:\Program Files\LibreOffice 3\program\scalc.exe" %1] you have to change it to : ["C:\Program Files\LibreOffice 3\program\scalc.exe" "%1"], after this OK. You can also change icon -> browse -> find scalc.exe (there is one icon on the list:). Ok everything and you should be able to open files by double click without reinstalling libreoffice.
It worked for me.
Sorry for my poor English
Ps.
I was trying to edit register but it was to much work, it's faster solution.
LibreOffice 3.3 on Windows Xp Sp3 / Slackware 13.1
AtoZ

Post by AtoZ »

The procedure described by “Pig Master” above worked for me (I use Windows XP, can't confirm it for other operating systems). However, the directions are so compressed that they are difficult to follow. Also, it only shows how to associate spreadsheet files with LibreOffice.

The instructions below attempt to clarify and generalize the procedure for all common file types.

Although there are many steps listed, they are all simple and quick, don't be discouraged. (It often takes a lot of words to clearly describe a simple action.)

HOW TO CHANGE FILE EXTENTIONS FOR LIBREOFFICE
WITHOUT REINSTALLING IT (WINDOWS XP)

1. Open Windows Explorer.
2. Select "Folder Options" from the Tools Menu.
3. Select "File Types".
4. Scroll through the listed file extensions to find the one you want to associate with LibreOffice. (See Notes 1 to 4 below.)
5. Select the desired file extension from the list.
6. Click the Advanced button.
7. Click the New button to open the "New Action" window,
8. Enter "open" in the "Action" field (without quotes).
9. Click in the "Application used to perform action" field.
10. Click the Browse button.
11. A window should open set at the "Program Files" folder (if it doesn't, navigate to "C:\Program Files").
12. In the list of files, find and open the LibreOffice file folder (the folder may have the version number after the name) by double-clicking on the name.
13. Open the "program" folder (double-click on the name)
14. To make it easier to find the EXE file you need, click on the View menu at the top of the window and move down to the "Arrange Icons by..." and select "Type" from the sub-menu. All the EXE files will now be listed first following the folders in the list.
15. Find the LibreOffice program you want to use to open your documents and click on it, then click the OK button. (See Note 5 below.)
16. In the "Edit File Type" window, click on the "Edit..." button.
17. Click in the "Application used to perform action:" field, and scroll to the end of entry (use the right arrow key on your keyboard).
18. Insert double-quote marks around the last two characters (Change %1 to "%1" ).
19. Click the OK button to close the window.
20. Click the OK button to close the next window.
21. Click the Close button to close the final window.
22. [Optional] In Windows Explorer, select "View" from the menu, move down to the "Arrange Icons by..." and select "Name" from the sub-menu to restore the sorting order to it's default setting.

Notes to Step 4:
1. Some common LibreOffice file extensions are: Text: ODT, Spreadsheets: ODS, Presentations: ODP, Drawings: ODG, Databases: ODB, and Formulas: ODF.
2. Some common Microsoft Office file extension are: Word: DOC and DOCX, Excel: XLS and XLSX, PowerPoint: PPT and PPTX, Access: MDB and ACCDB.
3. Other extensions can be found at: http://www.file-extensions.org/extensions/common
4. If the file extension you want is NOT in the list: click the New button then enter the desired file extension and click OK. The file extension will be added to the list. Proceed with Step 5.

Note to Step 15:
5. For Word files select: swriter.exe, for Excel files select: scalc, for PowerPoint files select: simpress.exe, for Access files select: sbase.exe
I use LibreOffice 3.5 on Windows XP.

On my way from A TO Z, I often end up AT OZ.
RenoHuskerDu

Post by RenoHuskerDu »

I migrated one computer from OO to LO as a test, but file associations are not correct yet. I tried the LO install update solution listed in this thread, but that did not solve my issue. Despite trying all the normal Windows Folder Options File Types steps to change file association, LibreOffice will not show up as a file type to associate. For example I change or delete/new .ODT over and over, but swriter.exe will not appear in the drop-down list. The only options I get are Adobe Reader and WordPad.

I suspect that I need to find the OO registry entries mentioned above and remove them. But they are not listed in the solution. I searched in JV16 PowerTools to be sure that OO was completely removed, and found no traces left. But is that a fact???
OpenOffice 3.2.1 and LibreOffice 3.5.3.2 on XP Pro SP3
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Use Revo Uninstaller Free to remove the LO install. Use the most aggressive settings. Then re-install.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
franx
Volunteer

Post by franx »

LibreOffice 4.0.4 · WinXP
RenoHuskerDu

Post by RenoHuskerDu »

Thank you for the replies, however neither helped. I just tried Revo Uninstaller as suggested, but it cannot find Open Office. I had already tried the "repair" option of install, when that solution was suggested earlier on in this thread. It did not change things.

For me, this issue remains unsolved.
OpenOffice 3.2.1 and LibreOffice 3.5.3.2 on XP Pro SP3