[Solved] Animate one line text separately

Discuss the presentation application
brodiemac

[Solved] Animate one line text separately

Post by brodiemac »

I have a presentation where I have several lines that I need to animate. What is different is I need to animate portions of the lines sepeartely. I tried to use Appear for the effect and chose to do the text animation word-by-word but it wont work because these are all numbers I am working with. Example 1,000,000 = 1 million. I would like 1,000,000 to animate then have the = 1 million animate after. How do I accomplish this?
Last edited by brodiemac on Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
-- Eleanor Roosevelt
OOo 3.3 on M$ Windows 7 SP1
acknak

Re: Animate one line text separately

Post by acknak »

Can you make each part a separate text object? Then you can animate them however you like.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
brodiemac

Post by brodiemac »

I've tried that but some of these number are rather long due to the calculations I'm trying to display. When I do text boxes, the numbers do not wrap properly. It just seems odd that you can't select text, add an animation, select other text, add animation, etc.
-- Eleanor Roosevelt
acknak

Post by acknak »

You can tell Impress to apply the animation to: the entire block of text, each line in turn, each word, or each letter, but you can't apply the effect to an arbitrary part of the text.

You do know that you can adjust the width of the text box to change where the text wraps, right? Or insert some line breaks (Shift+Enter) to make the line wrap at a certain spot.
brodiemac

Post by brodiemac »

That doesn't work either I think because these are numbers I am dealing with and not words.

I did find a work around. I created several different text objects. For example the first says 1,000,000 and the second 1,000,000 = 1 million I created separate animations for each then over-layed them on top of each other. That gives the appearance of one line text with different animations.
-- Eleanor Roosevelt
acknak

Re: [Solved] Animate one line text separately

Post by acknak »

I think that's about the best you can do--at least, I don't know any other way to do it.

You can add separate entrance and exit effects, so that the text underneath can disappear as the new text appears, to avoid problems where the two texts don't overlay perfectly.

It's just incredibly tedious to do things like this. Even the basic things like selecting the right item is difficult when working with overlaid items.

Here's what I came up with:
Attachments
millions.odp
(16.96 KiB) Downloaded 417 times