Big jump in forum traffic?

Let us know how we are doing -
acknak

Big jump in forum traffic?

Post by acknak »

Is it just me, or have we had a big jump in traffic over the last week (or less)?

What's more, it seems like now about 90% of the queries are some compatibility problem with MS Office, or some Windows glitch--stuff that I have just about zero capability (or interest) to help with. I do hope it's a spike and not a trend: I think if I see one more "Installer error" or file association foul-up, I'm going to scream. :o

I've had the (dis)pleasure of having to use my wife's XP laptop while trying to get my system back together, and I've installed and used OOo on it with absolutely no trouble at all. Where do all these strange problems come from?

Oh well. Venting complete. Carry on. ;-)
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Big jump in forum traffic?

Post by Villeroy »

Just my wildest guessing: Many first-time users. Many first-time users who never installed such a big suite on their "XMart Home Edition System" and now struggle with file formats (colored cells in csv), extensions(open with...), program folders(can not start...) and their beloved Word-tools and Excel-addons.
Before 2.4 the "Active Topics" involved about 300 topics (5-6 pages). It increased to 9 pages within a week.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Yeah, first time users and all the issues linked to upgrade with the new 2.4 (should I uninstall 2.3 ?) ...
I've noticed that also. I monitor the site counts every day (topic, post and users count) and the slope for all the 3 items has increased after the 2.4 release.

Note that there is also the announcement of the forum in the last OOo newsletter that may have an impact also.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

Note that there is also the announcement of the forum in the last OOo newsletter that may have an impact also.
Yep, I think that's it. I hadn't received one until just now. I'll bet a lot of people are clicking in off that email.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I also found something strange: in the last few days, I've seen several users from oooforum (theGhurka and bobharvey at least, both exactly at the same time). And BTW, oooforum is dead right now. Is it related?
acknak

Post by acknak »

Oooforum has been ok for me today--or did you mean "dead" as in much less traffic?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Strange, it's ok now. Perhaps a problem with my ISP? all the other sites I went on where fine.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

acknak wrote:Is it just me, or have we had a big jump in traffic over the last week (or less)?
Let me pick up your initial question and add a related one: Is it just me, or have we had a big jump in update issues, compared to other releases?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Villeroy wrote:have we had a big jump in update issues, compared to other releases?
But in last December, there were far fewer registered users than today!
DrewJensen
Volunteer

Post by DrewJensen »

Couple of thoughts:
  • There does seem to be a few more install problems reported this release - both here and on the mailing lists.
    1. It is going to get much worse with the 3.0 release as they finish the split of the installation process into three separate 'packages' of files. ( a price to be paid as the release process move towards the ability to offer incremental updates , I am afraid. )
    We are getting more "Install / can I use it for?" type questions.
    1. We are much more prominently featured on the new OO.o site pages
    2. The tag of 'Official Forum' also adds to this.
    3. More "office" workers, as opposed to enthusiasts.
So - I think we really need to look at building our own "tools" to help with this...how those tools should work, not totally sure yet. Hoping to spend some time looking at this over the weekend and hearing what others think. Well, not just tools, but approaches also - can we arrange things better - there are some ideas floating around on the board already..
Former member of The Document Foundation
Former member of Apache OpenOffice PMC
LibreOffice on Ubuntu 18.04