Super Slow Base

Discuss the database features
cdayringer

Super Slow Base

Post by cdayringer »

After "upgrading" to LibreOffice 3 ( it came along with my ubuntu studio 64 11.4 upgrade), BASE is ridiculously slow to the point of being unusable (hsql db) . I bought memory, upped the memory alloc in LibreOffice "options", checked to be sure I'm using Sun Java 1.6.0_22, nothing works. Last year it was snappy.

Now, I'm screwed. My project is way behind now, and I don't see any info on fixes anywhere.

What did you guys do over there? What's the deal??

Do l now have to find a more reliable platform & re-do the whole project?? Thanks a bunch, guys!
Ubuntu 9.10
OpenOffice 3.1
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: Super Slow Base

Post by TheGurkha »

We're not the developers, just users trying to help other users. The developers don't hang out here.

But, more to the point, LibreOffice isn't OpenOffice.org, it is a new endeavour using the OOo code-base by a new organisation called the The Document Foundation. Why Canonical chose to put that in Natty instead of OOo, is anybody's guess.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I run HSQLDB server and local H2-databases with LibreOffice 3.3.2 as frontend using Oracle Java 1.6.22 on 32-bit Linux and Windows machines without the speed problem. Any other flavour of Java slows down any of my databases. Same with OOo3.3 and OOo 3.4beta
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

Hello

It is a known problem. I don't if it is a problem of LibO or of Java. When I use openSUSE 11.3 then I must not update java. I stay to use the original java with that version

see this thread
http://www.oooforum.org/forum/viewtopic ... light=java

Maybe you can ask on the Ubuntu forum.

Romke
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

Hello

This is only for openSUSE 11.4

After I update from openSUSE 11.3 to 11.4 java is not update. When you lock this version then you have no problems.

When you have installed a version of java what is not working then download a version for openSUSE 11.3 and installed it. This works for me without problems. Then locked it so it cannot update more.

You can download a version for openSUSE 11.3
http://download.opensuse.org/distributi ... 2.i586.rpm

This version seems for me to works without problems for me.

Romke
compuwatch

Post by compuwatch »

Had similar problem in UBUNTU and solved it this way. The whole process takes about 2 Minutes (Very Easy)

Here’s how:

1. Download the java-sun-jre-1.6.21 from http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2 ... index.html

2. Move the file to your (Create Folder) $HOME/bin and make it executable

go to folder once it is there and make file executable.

$> chmod a+x jre-6u21-linux-i586.bin
$> ./jre-6u21-linux-i586.bin

4. After extracting the files, configure your LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org to use the older java runtime (Tools -> Options –> LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org –> Java). Add the path from where the extracted files currently located.

5. Restart your computer, then restart your LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org and verify if your database now runs smoothly.

6. Done.
Last edited by TheGurkha on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added 'restart your computer' to step 5.
aqualung
Volunteer

Post by aqualung »

Sorry if this is a stupid question (I'm a Windows user) but there have been numerous security fixes in the Java Runtime Environment since version 21. If someone goes back to v21, will they become exposed to the vulnerabilities or is this only a concern under Windows?
OOo 3.3.0, Windows 7 64-bit SP1, planning to add LibreOffice after a bug-fix version of 3.4 is released.
Has your question been answered? Please go back to the message at the top of the thread and mark it as [SOLVED].
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

Hello

I think it is not a stupid question for reason it is an important question. For me I accept that risk. I want not to change to an other database engine. But I think for some user the risk can be to big.

Romke