OpenOffice.org 64 bit for Windows

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
tridy

OpenOffice.org 64 bit for Windows

Post by tridy »

Hello.
I am using Open Office on Vista x64 Business. I guess Open Office runs as 32 bits emulated.
Does anyone know if there are plans to make 64 bit version of Open Office? Or maybe it's already existing?
Thanks.
TerryE
Volunteer

Re: Open Office 64 bit for Windows

Post by TerryE »

Apologies for the late reply There is little advantage to 64-bit for an Office Automation product, but see http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/WindowsVista for further info
Ubuntu 11.04-x64 + LibreOffice 3 and MS free except the boss's Notebook which runs XP + OOo 3.3.
deltatux

Post by deltatux »

I would actually like to see that happening because running a software in 32-bit isn't the best when it comes to best performance possible. It isn't important but it would be useful since these software won't be able to address more memory later. Java and OpenOffice already take up substantial memory, plus, the memory width would be larger.

Running things as 32-bit on Windows x64 is only a temporary solution, it will go the way of 16-bit soon.

deltatux
cwoodf02

Post by cwoodf02 »

I've read the info in that link. Considering there are now 64 bit binaries available for Linux OS's, is there an eta on a fully functional 64 bit binary for Vista?
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista + Win XP, Sabayon Linux
cwoodf02

Post by cwoodf02 »

There's no date on that Wiki page. How long ago was it actually updated?

It's all well and good to have a link you can deflect Vista 64 bit queries to, but if the project has stalled, then it's no good to anyone.
OOo 3.0.X on MS Windows Vista + Win XP, Sabayon Linux
andyqkw

Post by andyqkw »

Seems like Microsoft's next MS Office release are gonna come in both 32-bit and 64-bit ...

Wonder when OpenOffice.org are gonna have 64-bit support as well as i'm using Windows Vista 64-bit myself.
OOo 3.1.1 on Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 64-bit
obriantf

Post by obriantf »

Running OpenOffice.org 32 bit on a 64 bit Windows may work just fine, but there's an issue with integration. I've had issues with Java programs using the officebean that work fine run under 32 bit Java, but fail when run in a 64bit JVM because it can't load the 32 bit officebean.dll into the 64 bit space. This effectively means I can't integrate with OOo at all if I expect my Java code to run on a 64 bit JVM without going through some serious shenanigans to separate out my use of the OOo Java APIs so they run as a separate process under a different, 32 bit JVM. A 64 bit Windows distribution of OOo would certainly be welcome from this point of view. Or at least some estimate of when one is planned to be released. I've had no luck finding even that much.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Ubuntu 8.x/9.x
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can you install a 32bit version of Java? then select that one in OOo.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
obriantf

Post by obriantf »

Does that apply to the use of the officebean? I'm not running anything in OpenOffice, I'm using the OOoBean class to call up OpenOffice so I can modify a document from within an external Java program. I wouldn't think that changing what JVM OpenOffice uses for its own purposes would impact that at all.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Ubuntu 8.x/9.x
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Ah, no idea about that sorry.
northa

Post by northa »

I second, i would really love to see a native 64-bit version of OOO on windows too.
It would be another argument to my bosses to ditch ms office and go OOO.
OOo 3.1.X on Ubuntu 8.x + Windows x64
neoxx

Post by neoxx »

+1 for a 64bit edition
OpenOffice 3.1 on Win7 x64
fx650

Post by fx650 »

+1 for a 64 bits version on Windows.
It's a necessity to be full 64 and too difficult to maintain 32bits environnements... I don't believe on a mixted environnement as suggest with OO.o 32 and Java 64.
Let's be coherent ;-)
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7 64bits / Windows XP 32 bits / Ubuntu 9.04 Pentium II / Debian Lenny 64 bits
ganamide

Re: OpenOffice.org 64 bit for Windows

Post by ganamide »

Another reason to have a 64 bit version of Office is so that you can print documents more easily. I am having a helluva time trying to print stuff because the 64 bit print driver doesn't work with 32 bit applications. Maybe my printer manufacturer could make a thunked version of their printer driver, but it doesn't seem to exist right now.
Microsoft Office 2003 on Windows XP - What's it to ya?
adminpat

Post by adminpat »

+1 64 bit has my vote as well ... time to look at the future (one that is already here ! )
OpenOffice 3.2 - Windows 7 64bit
Davka

Post by Davka »

Just adding my $0.02 to the convo - I'm running Win7 64-bit on my new box, and O_O 3.1 simply *will not run* in this environment.

Which means I'm forced to revert to MS Office. Not a good sign for the future of OpenOffice.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7 64-bit
Cambirder
Volunteer

Post by Cambirder »

I'm running Win7 64-bit on my new box, and O_O 3.1 simply *will not run* in this environment.

Which means I'm forced to revert to MS Office. Not a good sign for the future of OpenOffice.
3.1 ran fine on my 64-bit Windows 7 machine as does 3.2, so it clearly will run in this environment.
OOo 3.3 on Windows 7 & 3.2.1 on Mint 10
trungdt09

Post by trungdt09 »

I'm also able to run OO 3.1 on both Win7 32 and 64 bit. I'm a casual OO.o user and I love it. My significant other doesn't like it so much because she uses much more advanced features of the Spreadsheet, and she claims they don't behave similar to that in MS Office. I think it's a matter of adjusting.

I do agree with many others that 64 bit is the future, and should be the mainstream for all applications. It doesn't matter whether there's any real performance advantage, because the seamless integration and interaction with other 64 bit application is more important. This alone is a huge advantage in itself. All software and hardware packages, which supports native 64 bit, should have a 64 bit logo on the box, if not done so already.

Add another vote for 64 bit OO.o.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows 7 x64
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

OpenOffice, being Open Source, has the source code freely available. If a 64 bit application matters so much to some people I am surprised they don't bother to compile it using a 64 bit compiler. It would be an interesting exercise. Personally, I'd as soon _use_ OpenOffice as sit there tweaking it.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
ile

Post by ile »

I couldn't believe there isn't OpenOffice for 64bit Windows - I think my Java version (64bit) would require a 64bit OO. At least 32 bit Eclipse wouldn't start on my machine

Also it was funny as I had to lie in the registration phase, the form really wanted me to have OO, but I don't have one as there is no 64 bit version.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

ile wrote:I couldn't believe there isn't OpenOffice for 64bit Windows - I think my Java version (64bit) would require a 64bit OO. At least 32 bit Eclipse wouldn't start on my machine

Also it was funny as I had to lie in the registration phase, the form really wanted me to have OO, but I don't have one as there is no 64 bit version.
The 32 bit one runs fine in 64 bit. Plenty of users do this.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
ile

Post by ile »

Yes, it did work and seemed to be fast too. Sorry about my rant and thanks.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Hewer

Post by Hewer »

I am using OpenOffice 3.2 on 64 bit Windows 7, and it seems to work just fine, but it crashes whenever I de-emphasize it and try to re-emphasize it in the taskbar. I put together catalogs and fliers and ads in Adobe Illustrator. I have the list of item numbers and prices in Calc, and product descriptions or blurbs in Writer, so I'm constantly switching between OpenOffice and Illustrator. If I have Illustrator up for more than a minute or two before I re-emphasize Calc or Writer, then OpenOffice will crash. I had the same problem with my 64bit Vista machine, but no problems at all before that with 32bit machines.

So I'd love it if somebody would put together a 64bit version of OpenOffice- maybe then I'd be able to convince the office to switch. As it is, OpenOffice isn't stable enough on our machines to make any kind of argument.
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows 7 Home Premium
cryztal6

Post by cryztal6 »

I am having a problem with OO on my Windows 7 64 bit environment. I wanted to use Base but was unable to connect it to my database since I am running Oracle 11g 64 bit. It seems since OO is 32 bit it cannot connect to a 64 bit ODBC driver. I was unable to get Oracle 11g 32 bit working on my machine because the 32 bit ODBC driver did not seem to install. So I had to go with Oracle 64 bit.

Anyway, I feel for the developers who have put so much time developing these products to give for FREE and people are on here complaining about it, saying its going to become obsolete and comparing it to Office. How much does Office cost? I can't believe these people. LOL.

Anyway, just pointing out where 32 bit OO has an incompatibility with 64 bit ODBC Drivers.

Thanks for putting out a great product still!

I will look into compiling OO in 64 bit ;)
Office 3.2 on windows 7 64 bit
samkass

Post by samkass »

I just found the Java-64/OOo-32 bug out the hard way as well. There's probably no rush to get a 64-bit office client out, but if you're treating it as an office engine for an integration project, lack of 64-bits on Windows is a killer. It might as well not have an SDK version for Windows without it these days...
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows XP, Vista, 7
ideaman007

Post by ideaman007 »

Windows 7 x64 works perfectly fine with Openoffice 32bit. I've included a screenshot of my system using Win7 x64, OO 3.2.1 32bit, Java 32bit & Java x64.

You can have bothJava 32bit, and Java x64 installed on your system simultaneously, and OpenOffice will choose the 32bit one for its needs.

Yes, it would be great to have a 64-bit version of OpenOffice, but it is not by any means a requirement when the 32bit one works perfectly on Win7 x64, and using the 32bit java. You won't find a 64-bit version of Firefox yet either, however, the 32bit one works perfectly on Win7 x64 as well, though I am also a proponent of creating a 64bit one as well (though I hear Firefox v4.x is targeting x64 versions).

Anyways, just want to clear up that the 32bit one works perfectly fine, if its crashing, its probably not related to its 32bit vs 64bit-ness. I would suggest trying a clean install of Windows and Java 32bit, to test and see if you have the same crashing issues, and possibly try it on different hardware if you have it available (another x64 system of different hardware type (mobo, ram, etc).
Windows 7 x64 System with 32bit Openoffice, Java 32bit and Java x64
Windows 7 x64 System with 32bit Openoffice, Java 32bit and Java x64
OpenOffice 3.2 on Windows 7 x64
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

ideaman007 wrote:Windows 7 x64 works perfectly fine with Openoffice 32bit. I've included a screenshot of my system using Win7 x64, OO 3.2.1 32bit, Java 32bit & Java x64
Thanks for going to the effort of this.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
swathikumar

Post by swathikumar »

When I see OpenOffice.org site there is no 64 bit Windows version is available.
Is there any OpenOffice 3.2.1 available for windows 64 bit? If it is available please provide URL to download.
If it is NOT available at present then please let us know when it will be ready for available.

Thank you in advance.
OpenOffice 3.2.1 on Windows XP Professional
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Why can't you use the 32bit version? I'm not sure a 64bit version is scheduled.
chrisadam12

Post by chrisadam12 »

Although Windows 7 / Vista 64 include both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Internet Explorer, version 8 in the case of Windows 7, many prefer more secure products. The 32 bit versions of Firefox, Google Chrome,and Opera all work without a hitch under both operating systems.

Apart from 64 bit Internet Explorer, the only other 64 bit browser currently available, and still under development, is an unofficial version of Firefox based on the Mozilla code. Various preview versions can be found here. I've found version 3.6.3 to be as stable as the 32 bit version. This version will import all of your bookmarks and history from 32 bit Firefox. All currently installed addons are checked for compatibility when 64 bit Firefox is started, and those that are known to work are loaded automatically.

Although active development has been under way for some time these applications are not yet ready for daily use:

To support Java, a 64 bit browser requires a 64 bit version of the Java Runtime Environment. There is a suitable version of JRE for Windows 7 / Vista 64, but no major Web site actually supports this combination of software.

Adobe has still not given any indication of when a 64 bit Windows version of their Flash Player will be made available, and the 32 bit version cannot be used in conjunction with a 64 bit browser under Windows 7 / Vista 64.

Some sites may simply refuse to allow access to a 64 bit browser.

Common addons for Firefox that interact with external 32 bit applications such as Roboform are not compatible with the 64 bit version of the browser.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista /