[Solved] Shortcuts for Ctrl V, C, A does not work anymore

Discuss the word processor
Malibu

[Solved] Shortcuts for Ctrl V, C, A does not work anymore

Post by Malibu »

Suddenly today the Ctrl shortcuts do not work (Ctrl V = paste) (Ctrl C = copy) (Ctrl A = select all).

I went to Tools > Customize > Keyboard tab. Category: Edit

The Ctrl V, C and A lines had nothing in them. I added in the correct shortcut by selecting the proper word in the Function column, the clicked the "Modify" button. I clicked OK when done.

I closed Oo and reopened it, but it still doesn't work. When I went back to Tools > Customize> Keyboard tab > Edit, the text for copy, paste and "select all" is showing to the right of the shortcut keys.

The shortcuts also don't work in Notepad and other programs. The only change I made to my computer today was to update to Firefox 4, after which time it seemed that the Ctrl shortcuts stopped working (could be a coincidence?)

I'll restart my computer to see if that helps.

Oo 3.3.0 build 9567
Last edited by Malibu on Fri May 06, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RoryOF

Re: Shortcuts for Ctrl V, C, A does not work anymore

Post by RoryOF »

If a restart doesn't help, try deleting or renaming your User Profile.
The User Profile
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

Restart didn't help.
Renaming user profile didn't help.

Also Ctrl Alt Del doesn't work when I wanted to open the Task Manager. This must mean something more serious is going on, not having to do with OpenOffice :(
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

One thing that might help is a cold restart. Shut down and turn off computer. Go have a cup of coffee, then turn on computer from cold. I know that Restart is supposed to be the same, but I've often found that it isn't. If that doesn't help, you may need to run a malware and a virus check.
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

I shut down the computer for several hours. I checked for viruses and stuff - all good. I did a disk cleanup. I unplugged the keyboard and replugged it in. Searched online for other solutions. Nothing worked.

Then I got the brilliant idea to check if the Ctrl key on the right side of the space bar works. Woo hoo, that works! So there must be something wrong with the left Ctrl key. Maybe I wore it out, or there is dirt underneath. I guess this is solved. Hooray!
RoryOF

Re: [Solved] Shortcuts for Ctrl V, C, A does not work anymor

Post by RoryOF »

Gently prise the cap off the left Ctrl key and see is it being stuck down by accumulated gunge. If so, remove this. Otherwise rush down to your nearest keyboard shop and buy a new keyboard.
Malibu

Post by Malibu »

Thanks, I didn't think of that. Nothing is under the key though. Off to the store, i guess.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Depending on the type of keyboard, one can often open the keyboard by disengaging the teeth which hold the top to the bottom, and divide the keyboard into a top with the keys, a plastic bottom, and between the top and bottom a printed circuit board and a plastic overlay membrane of big pimples which acts as the switch mechanism and spring mechanism. One can wash this membrane (a very little shampoo helps), dry it off, clean down the circuit board (I use an alcohol rub), and then brush out any crumbs and gunge from the key-unit. Then reassemble and try. It might work, but if it doesn't, well, it was broken to start with, wasn't it? It makes for an entertaining hour or so.